Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / My first time

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone.

I am new to game developement and C++. I found this place because there is a promo with VC++ 9. Anyway I just wanted to ask, how good should I get to know C++ before I try to start using this? should I really master C++ before hand or just learn the basics and concepts (like functions, vaiables and pointers)?

I am sorry as I am sure many newbies have asked this before, any help would be much appreciated

To go fowards, think backwards.
flip sk8r11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 03:52 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 03:53
Well if you know the syntax of c++ then you should be fine but you may want to try dbpro first its alot easier to start with and many of the commands are similar to what youll get with the dark gdk c++ library but its syntax is different than c++ because its a variant of the basic language. Also dbpro is not case sensitive which is good.
hyrichter
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 04:13
Well, I'm (re)learning C++ at the same time as the GDK. It's not too hard for me, as I've used lots of other languages that have a c-style syntax(PHP, mostly.) So, if you're familiar with coding, it shouldn't be too hard to get up to speed; otherwise, you may want to go through a few beginner tutorials to get the basics of the C++ language learned.

CodeSurge
Version 1.0 finally released! Code your DBP projects in style. (And save the kittens!)
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 18:10
The syntax is pretty easy to learn once you know how it works. Then it's a matter of learning what you mentioned, ie. functions, variables, etc. Then of course you can go onto learn about classes and other stuff, like the preprocessor, though I personally don't think that's essential. That should do you really, then you can start using the dgdk commands. I think it would be good if you learned some of the basics of the STL too, especially std::strings - they are a god-send to me

"It's like floating a boat on a liquid that I don't know, but I'm quite happy to drink it if I'm thirsty enough" - Me being a good programmer but sucking at computers
Para _Charlie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 22:27
Pick up a book on C++ or visit http://www.cprogramming.comis one of my links that I found useful in the beginning. Just getting use to the {} and syntax can be a little intimidating at first. It can be very complicated so just start simple and you'll catch on just like anything else.

DBP 6.3 DX 9.0c
3.2Gig Proc, 2Gigs Ram, SATA HD, Gigabyte MB, 6800GT Vid
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 22:33 Edited at: 28th Nov 2007 22:33
You may also find http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/ to be useful for learning from, I learned a lot from that.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Black Code Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok thanks alot guys

I'll check out those links and get started asap. I wont post on this forum too much untill I have got better with C++ as to avoid annoying you guys but hopefully I will be back a better programmer and ready to start game dev

To go fowards, think backwards.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:30:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:30:07