Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / C++ 2008 Express - Dark GDK - FIXED AND WORKING

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2007 21:59
I finally found a solution! After trauling through various forums and Google search results, I sort of combined bits of each into a working solution.

Conditions are:
- Vista Home Premium (x86).
- Dark GDK is installed into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\. This shall be referred to as %INSTALL% throughout the instructions.
- Your "Documents" or "My Documents" folder (depending on Windows version) shall be referred to as %DOCS%.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

1) First step, after installing the Dark GDK, go to:
%INSTALL%\Dark GDK\Wizards\Files
Copy the contents of the Files folder (excluding the empty folder named "Dark GDK") to %DOCS%\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards. I had to create this folder (Wizards) as it did not exist at first, so you may have to as well.

2) In the Wizards folder you just created and filled up, there should be three files with a .vsz extension. Open up the first file (I started with "Dark GDK - Game") in Notepad. There should be a line beginning with:
Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\ ... "

3) The path in this line is what needs changing. Assuming you opened the "Dark GDK - Game" file first, change the path to:
%INSTALL%\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game
Note - the quotation marks " " start before the ABSOLUTE_PATH tag, and end after the path.

4) Save the file, then close it. Now start up the C++ Visual Studio application, and create a new project. Firstly, you should find a "Wizards" menu in the "Project Types" section. Secondly, start a project from "Dark GDK - Game" (the project whose files we just modified). Now, with a bit of luck, a new project should have been created successfully, and you'll see a structure of files in the Solution Explorer. Yay.

5) If all has gone to plan above, repeat the process with the other two .vsz files (look below if you need a hand):

5a) For "Dark GDK - 3D Game.vsz", change the path to:
%INSTALL%\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game

5b) For "Dark GDK - 2D Game.vsz", change the path to:
%INSTALL%\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game

As I said, this solution worked for me perfectly. I did not run the "Wizard.exe" executable from the Tools directory, so I recommend you don't either. However, I had run it once before, then re-installed the GDK. But when it ran before, I only got a flash of the command prompt which didn't seem to do anything at all.

Any help needed, send me a PM or just reply.
sigi
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank You for this, now it `s working for me too.

AMD Athlon64 X2 4600 / 3 GH Ram / Geforce 8800 GTS-640MB / WinXP Home SP2 / Vista 64bit
osea hello!!
Years of Service
User Offline
finally!! you held me!! thank you.. i cannot believe this..!
i have others problems now, but it does not matter, me thank you!
Creepin Jesus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 18:55
You're welcome, both of you. What are the other problems? I'm having issues with PC Cillin blocking my EXE every time I try to debug, which is slightly annoying.
th3flyboy
Years of Service
User Offline
its not doing it for me, i know i had to change a lot of directories it was searching for from orcas to 08, but it'sstill not finding it.
Creepin Jesus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 23:12
If you've changed a few directories already then that might be it... You could try re-installing the whole thing, but it depends if its really worth it for you. I think the basic idea is to make sure the path in the .vsz files from Step 2 (original post) match the directory where the installation folder containing the actual wizards are.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:31:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:31:18