Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / segment and entities - whats the difference?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 11:01
I recently bought the entity ruins pack from TGC, apart from 2 entities being pitch black when in a game with lighting, they run very well, performance is good, no slowdown at all, unlike when we use segments and we get slowdowns in frames, and choppyness. Im sure its because segments overlap cut each other, I dont think its good on the engine perhaps?

What I want to now is whats the difference between the two, as segments dont give as good performance as entities, as my games is set outside in castle ruins, I am wondering if I should make the whole game as entities apart from a segment floors.

Just what is the difference between these two.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 14:38
Segments are rigid basic building blocks of the level......... no scripts, dynamicism(did i spell that right?) or physics involved.

entities can\must run at leastt a default script...... can be frame-rate-suckingly-dynamic, and if they are they need physics.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 21:23 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 21:24
the new ruins pack from TGC has the ruins as entities, why is that, why not segments? Im just trying to see how the engine works in optomising stuff.

I want to have a terrain covered in ruins, I am wondering if these ruin entities should be converted to segments or having them as entities is best?

Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 22:19
I think segments snap to the side of a grid also.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 22:37
I think it doesnt matter if it is a static-entity, or an segment.
Maybe if you put lots of dynamic entities in it....that it would lag...
But havent had any problems with static-entities, or segments...

If one is better than the other...than i think that segments
will react better (in the framerate's position) entities.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 15:07
I thought enemies are not blocked by segments, ie they can see though it, so you cannot sneak up on them, also Im not sure if entities dont block instant hit weapons. Also I think I heard that entities do not block other scenery, so say we have a 1000 init wall, and behind it is loats of segments or say loads of entity barrels, well they are not blocked by 1000x1000 entity wall you have.

I could be wrong, Im just going by what Ive heard here and there on these forums.

I just wonder why TGC have a pack of ruins and a pack of large rock formations and that they are as entities.

Also if I am doing an out door level, If Ive got like 200 ruined buildings perhaps they are best as entities, then use Umans load entities on the fly.

It would be nice to hear so informed opionions in how the engine works.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2007 23:47 Edited at: 5th Dec 2007 01:23
Did a test, enemies sight is not blocked by entities, also I got stuck in them, but may of been an issue with having the start base too close to the floor, who knows, I think the collision is heavy as well as walking right near them can make frames go down.

did another test, collision is rubbish on entities, I was using the ruins and having players or enemies walk around them doesnt help frames, best to use them as background objects and not to be walked agaisnt. Ill mail TGC see what they say on this question.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 07:26:24
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 07:26:24