Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Error spawning 'cmd.exe, Fixed, Now Runtime Errors

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 23:20 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2007 23:29
Problems with MS VC++ 2008 Express and Dark GDK(so far)

I have kept this as simple as possible, although lengthy it is in order for someone new to
also make sense of this(Good luck).

For reference my System Details are below in the signature box.

Firstly, I have installed the programs in the correct order.

Visual C++ 2008 express, then
Direct X SDK August 2007, then
Dark GDK, (the fake installation of the Dark GDK was not too fun)

NOTE! when downloading the Dark GDK the installer opens a window with an .EXE file in it and an EULA, it is easily looked at as things are finished so you rush off to see what you can do..., then nothing happens, no wizards etc.. So, remember to also run the “Dark GDK – 161107.exe” by Left double clicking it or right click and select open.

Should you not see the Dark GDK Wizards, this is possibly why, it was in my case!

If you look at this and think Ooops! And need to find the file(instead of Downloading it again) as you won't find it under the start menu, mine is located in the following:-

C: Documents and Settings\M\My Documents\MSDN\Game Creators Dark GDK\Dark GDK – 161107.exe this may help in the case that yours is similarly placed. As a note I let the installation package choose all the folders, so unless you changed them I would imagine “My Documents\MSDN\Game Creators Dark GDK” is a good place to look.

Once installed and running the following details are the order of things as they happened, I have detailed them in the case that it helps others with the same problems. The initial fix was from the forums here but I forget where(sorry to the person suggesting them, I'll add a link when I find it again)

Installation was a nightmare with visual C++ Express and the linking of Dark GDK not that I am pointing fingers, as I am not, these things happen, generally at the wrong times.. it was just not as smooth as expected, and then the running of it, well, for reference the other Express additions(C#, Visual Basic, Web developer and SQL) installed well and all work very smoothly.

The Errors:-
First I had problems building the solutions for anything, Dark GDK or not, I fixed this although this doesn't seem an efficient fix! via the following:-

Here is the first error, looking a the Microsoft support site this has been logged as far back as mid 2006! :-
Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'cmd.exe'.

Presuming the layout of the IDE has not been changed the directions are as follows to clear this up.

Left Click on the Project tabb above the toolbox/s
Left Click on the “current project” Properties

On the left of the new window:-
In the Left side, file menu,
Expand(left click the “+”) the “Configuration Properties”,
Expand(left click the “+”) the “Manifest Tool”,
left Click once on the words “input and output”,

On the right of the window:-
In the big panel on the right look for the words “Embed Manifest” (this is 3rd down the list on mine)
To the right of these words there will most liekly be a “Yes”
Left Click once either “Embed Manifest” or “Yes” and on the far right of this line a drop down menu appears in the form of an arrow pointing down, click this arrow and select “No”.

Click Apply at the bottom of the page.

The Next Error's which I am stuck with are as follows:-

Once the above has been completed, Left Clicking the Build tabb, then Build Solution does infact build successfully..

Problem is when you press F5 or Left Click Debug tabb, left click Start Debugging..

The new Error's are in order of appearance:-

Runtime Error - Failed to get device caps
Runtime Error - Failed to find valid stencil Buffer
Runtime Error - Unable to create device
Runtime Error - Unable to setup 3D device

I am wondering if it is either DX issues or my Graphics card.

Thanks for any help, and I hope this helps someone else unfortunate enough to get these issues.

AMD XP 2500+,1.25GB DDR RAM 2700, GFFX 5600 256DDR,Creative X-Fi sound,Win XP SP2
Matto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 00:08 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 00:09
Fixed!

Ok here's what to do.

Left click Start>All Programs>Microsoft DirectX SDK(august 2007)> DiectX Utilities>DirectX Control Panel

A window should appear
With the "Direct3D 9" tabb selected
Look down the left and under a box called "Debug Output Level" and you will see some check boxes
Check the box that says "Allow Hardware Acceleration"
Click Apply at the bottom of the window.

Now go back and left click Debug>Start Debugging and it should work without the runtime errors.

Thank you.

AMD XP 2500+,1.25GB DDR RAM 2700, GFFX 5600 256DDR,Creative X-Fi sound,Win XP SP2

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:28:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:28:16