Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / importing 3D models into Dark GDK as direct X files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
My problem is this:

I couldn't work out how to create my own sprites/3D models for use in VC++ Dark GDK but I eventually worked out that you create them in any 3D model software then convert them to a *.x direct x file.

So I went off and created some kickass 3D models in DAZ Studio for this game I'm building. Now I have my models but I have no idea how to convert them to *.x files because DAZ doesn't use 3DS format and absolutely nothing seems to import or export DAZ files into 3DS which I do have a converter for somewhere I think.

My game requires very high quality resolution 3D Characters and DAZ was perfect to build or buy what I needed. But now I'm stuck.

Anybody got any ideas?
Bishop
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 11:39
Well, I am not familiar with DAZ studio, however DarkGDK can use many formats. See if you can export to .3ds, .x, .mdl, .md2, or .md3 all of which are supported.

Cheers,
Bishop

Tux is my guildmaster.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 12:42
use .x or .dbo, these are your best bets

My DBP plugins page is now hosted [href]here[/href]
FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
You can export from DAZ to .obj or collada file format and open it with DeleD (www.delgine.com) or Milkshape 3D and the export it to .X or .DBO (DeleD .dbo exporter works lovely)
cheers
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2007 19:43 Edited at: 3rd Dec 2007 19:43
I hope your not trying to use the models/figures from DAZ that they sell and expect them to work in your program. The normal figure was around 100,000 polys and it will creep your system.

I use a program called Deep Exploration from Right Hemisphere to do all my converting. There's a "student" edition that is like $35 (you have to call them to get the price) and it's a wonderful tool.

Your mod has been erased by a signature
m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys. I now have Silo 2, Wings 3D, Maya, anim8tor (no good on my Vista) and more downloading. All that just to do a file conversion. Getting the hang of the idea that nothing is simple.

Yeah the DAZ models are huge alright. Import one into Silo 2 as an *.obj and one meshed toe fulls the whole silo2 scene screen. Like I said I'm not a modeller so I'm still working out if or how to shrink or resize. Thought I'd just be able to select some sort of scale option. And yes I understand that still won't affect the polygon count which has to redraw every time I animate and thus kill the system.

Thing is most of the time I only need to animate a small part of the figure at a time, like the lips and the eyes. There's only ever one figure on the screen at a time, no rapid movement and no collisions. Plus if all else fails I can use a single colour background behind the figure so only the model has to redraw itself.

But I'm just learning and it may still kill my system and I may have to use a new approach. Man I like those sexy DAZ models though. They're perfect for what I'm doing in terms of looks and ability to animate witin DAZ itself. I haven't actually tested ne yet because I still haven't got one into *.x format! Got them into *.obj now and *.3DS format from DAZ and hopefully today I'll get one into *.x and see how it goes.

What's slowing me down is simply learning how a modelling program works. I write code usually and I'd never even seen a 3D modelling program until a week ago. They sure look cool if I only knew how to use them properly.

m0ng00se

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:30:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:30:38