Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Gibel Lock

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does this product (GDK) suffer from gimbel lock, especially when considering using two camera rotation functions inside the loop? (For example:

while ( LoopGDK ( ) )
{
dbSync ( );
dbPositionCamera ( 0, 0, x );
dbTurnCameraRight(dbMouseMoveX());
dbPitchCameraDown(dbMouseMoveY());

}

)))

Is that legal code? Or does it cause gimbel lock? I think I'm getting some gimbel lock, that is my object keeps getting rotated oddly and probably incorrectly. Does anyone know the solution to this?
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2007 12:12 Edited at: 7th Dec 2007 12:14
I think that if the Apollo 11 had Gimbal Lock, we are going to have it as well. Just my opinion, of course.

Hmmm, I think that for it to happen, some rotation must equal 90ยบ, as GL happens when one axis is rotated and falls over an original one and (like Y becoming Z) and there are still pending rotations around X & Z.

All this belongs to Euler XYZ rotations, the functions that you use above are 'free' rotation ones, and as far as I know, they should -not- get affected by GL.

Quote: "my object keeps getting rotated oddly and probably incorrectly"

That's the feeling that everybody has when he or she begins to rotate objects. Don't know what are you trying to do...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 05:28:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 05:28:54