Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Survival_Beta

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 22:16
Here is an evolution style program that I am currently working on. Basically it starts with one single celled organism that multiplies and when it does the information from that cell passes into the next one. Every once in a while the new cell will be mutated (eg different colour or structure) which means that when the mutated one multiplies then it will create another cell with the same characteristics and therefore the colonie of cells evolves.

The cells have a life span of 3 times the reproductive cylce (so if the reproduce every 20 seconds then the cell will die in 60 seconds)

this is just the first version of the program so let me know about glitches, what you do/ dont like.

enjoy!

On a scale from one to ten one being very smart and ten being an absolute genius your none of the above

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Schnitzengruber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 23:17
Things to change:

1)I don't like how jittery everything is. I would like the "cells" to move smoothly.
2)I don't like the sudden death of these "cells", it looks like they just disappear.
3)I would like it if you do something about collisions

Thinga to keep:

1)the mutations were pretty cool.
2)I like how they slowly spread through the screen.

HyperByte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 04:40
thanks for the input.

I am working on making it move smoother. As for the collision I am thinking about if I should do that or not (the only reason why I havent yet is because it isnt as realistic and it would make the transluency pointless) If by collsion you mean prevent them from overlapping. Cell death animations will come later on after I have way more mutation factors.

Im also going to add more control: eg. death rate, mutation rate, limit of cells alive at once (current limit is 2048).

Also if post screen shots of cool colonies that you get!

On a scale from one to ten one being very smart and ten being an absolute genius your none of the above
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 05:57 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 05:59
Hmm, collisions would be a good idea here, specifically so you could see what was going on. Really cells are slightly transparent anyways so even with collisions it would still look nice. Also it is really jittery, but you are already doing something about that as you said.

I have an idea however, you could have collisions on and make it so the camera will zoom out as more and more cells hit the outer edges of the screen. Otherwise without collisions I keep getting this here:

And that does not look like 2048 cells haha.

You could always make an option for middle mouse button scrolling and WASD camera movement as opposed to it being fixed. Or even make it 3d, because little spheres are not hard to make in any 3d program.

Anyways just some ideas.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Shell Shock
Years of Service
User Offline
What about having certain diseases? And cells that replicate by attacking other cells?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 03:33:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 03:33:21