Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Schmump Go Karting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 13:58 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2008 17:22
TITLE: Schmump Go Karting
VERSION: 1.0
SIZE: 12mb
URL: http://www.drewsgames.com

A 3D go karting game featuring 4 selectable karters, 4 tracks, 3 weapons and action replays. Also includes voice acting and music.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 15:47
Looks great Drew, will try this out when I get home!. I don't really like driving games, but I love the kart variety (MarioKart, DiddyKong Racing etc) - they are always a lot more fun to play.

One quick Q, Can you run the spectators over?

We're going down... in a spiral to the ground...
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 18:48
Downloading Now

Click For Details!

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 22:44 Edited at: 10th Dec 2007 23:27
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

*faints*

Downloading

Edit: Really nice. But it's HARD! A good challenge, but I think you need a system where you get ranked for your win instead of always having to get first. Aside from that, the steering is a bit slippery (especially at 7 mph ), but it's good because it takes some skill. The big problem was there was no catch-up system, so if you got behind, you stayed behind. Maybe if you're dead last you get more speed boosts?

The coolest thing in the game by far is the action replays. Those were amazing. I just wish the in game camera were that intence, sort of like mariokart 64 I guess. I only got to the second level, so I'm going to be playing for a while, but this is what I've got so far. Thanks, Drew

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 04:48
@Van B: If you'd read Untitled, you'd know you can. It'll give a funny effect. As does hitting trees, BTW.

Hehe, I'd be interested to know how people feel this is, compared to what they expected after the review in U2. Was the review correct?

Personally, the game rocked when I played it a while back, and it still does!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Fud
Years of Service
User Offline
The game seems to run at a slow pace on my computer. (Athlon 2900+, Radeon 9950, WinXP, 1GB RAM) I don't know if that's the intention since the carts are going only 7 mph...

This game has a lot of potential. I liked the voice overs and the frontend. very nice. Just wish it ran faster on my machine.
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Very well executed! I was a fan of Dumbow and Cool, and looked forward to this release. The detail on your work is at a professional level.

The game played smooth, had a good difficulty level, and enough variety in tracks. The bad part, it was too short. Maybe next time add some unlockable courses or racers.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 23:26
my first impression was "this is too hard!" but once i got the hang of it, it fell right into "this is just right!", so kudos for the game's "balance" and, really, what should be considered a short learning curve that went from "frustrating" to "enjoyable" in just a few races.

i do have some points of concern:

after i did get a handle on the physics, the first 2 tracks were quite fun. i DO wish the races were more than 2 laps (i would like to see an option for more, atleast. 3-5 would have been nice).

after working my way through the first 2 tracks (and with the help of restarting on the same track after losing), i found myself at track 3. surprisingly, i won the race on the first go and i felt little accomplishment. it wasn't the same challenge that the previous 2 tracks were, for some reason. from the start of the race, i never had to contend with the other racers (and i wondered, did they get locked in a traffic jam or did the AI lock up?). just no competition...

so, on to track 4 and the exact same result: i won the race on the first try. replays showed my competitors well behind and with little hope of catching up as long as i didn't land my cart in the water or nose-to-nose with an ambitious spectator.

then, roll the credits and it felt very much like a demo; a taste of what the game could be. i believe longer races (as mentioned before) and a couple more tracks (plus a re-evaluation of tracks 3 and 4... i don't know what really happened. did my stellar performances in the first 2 tracks leave my competitors disheartened? ) could make for top-notch entertainment.

technically, the game is solid, and the premise is very much "fun". i saw much attention to detail and the "extras" (namely, the spectators and the camera work) left me submersed in your world, which is much appreciated (side note on the submersion: the first time i saw the spectator running away from me coming out of that turn, i thought it was running along side me, getting ready to hand me a water bottle, a la the Tour de France. i saw no water bottle coming, so i just ran it over. )

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 02:38
Some impressive stuff in this. Nice front end, game runs solidly, AI is competitive, the video instructions and replays are cool. Runs smoothly on my comp. Loading times are reasonable.

You need to get a better engine noise i think. At the mo sounds like a garden strimmer. Gave me a headache. Also, i couldn't figure how to cut the replay short. Pressed Esc but it took me back to the main menu. Annoying after i'd won the race.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 09:17
Lol I love how they all cannot see over the steering wheel!

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 16:44
Hi guys,

Thanks for all comments. Regarding game length; this is now a short freeware game as part of a business experiment I am working on and no new tracks etc... will be added.

Check out the WIP boards for "Schmump Go-Karting" - screens & videos
Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 18:59
Thought this might be worth more than 9 replies.

Bump.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 19:49
I can't play it. The menu doesn't respond to the down arrowkey, and when I get into the in-game menu asking whether to race or quit, neither arrowkey works I can't get it off quit.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 20:15 Edited at: 24th Jan 2008 16:07
System specs? Can't think what this could be!

I have some time free to do some more work on this if anyone has any more bugs?

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2008 20:25
Windows XP Service pack 2
AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.67GHz
1.5 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6200

Keyboard is describes as:
Standard 101/102-key or Microsift Natural PS/2 Keyboard

All the keys work fine in all other dark basic programs that I have tried.

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks great Drew, downloading now.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2008 00:17
Downloading now...

Gil Galvanti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 05:38
I played it a while ago, great job, I love the style . My only complaint is that at first it was too hard but then once you got it down it was too easy .

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 17:01
Same as Gil, great game Drew!

Don Malone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2008 14:34
I had downloaded and tried it out. I think it is very good though I did struggle to even be competitive. It does seem to start off pretty challenging on the first level.

It has atmosphere using a preexisting world with characters that most people here can recognize. That was a good way to develop this in my opinion.

Drew, you know how to make games.
I bow before you

Don

Making nothing for the forth straight year; or is it five years now?

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 04:59
Quote: "Drew, you know how to make games. "

I don't think anyone doubts that!

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Argh, I forgot to post about this! I played it like a month or so ago. Good fun, definitely will be staying on my laptop for summer vacations and road trips Great time waster

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 01:37
Quote: "Great time waster"

Lol... that's a compliment, I'm sure.

@Drew,
You've been less frequent around here. Any plans for games and such? Just wondering cause you do do a great job at em.

Drew Cameron
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 15:30
I do have plans to release a level editor, etc... for Dumbow & Cool.

The best thing you can do if you want to see more titles from me is tell your friends about Drewsgames.com!

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2008 22:12
I thought it would have got a few hits via the last newsletter. Shame on you people who download without feeding back!
avenger 999
Years of Service
User Offline
I love everything about it except for how unbearably bad the controls are. Seriously they make it almost unplayable. obviously trying to make it around turns well drifting is meant to be a big part of the game and it does add a lot to it but turning as slowly as you do now not only makes it more frustrating then but but it also makes it impossible to compete against the other racers.

"You are in a video game, Max" funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing i could think of.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 16:52
Or, avenger, you'd just give it some more goes. You're prolly very young, the generation in which difficult mean playing the game ten tries extra. I found that the controls take a while to learn, but when you have them mastered, the game is actually easy.

How unbearably bad must you be at games...

avenger 999
Years of Service
User Offline
OK I played it some more and managed to win at the first two tracks so obviously it is possible to do well with some practice. It's steeper then normal learning curve also definitely makes it feel a lot more rewarding when you do make it around turns perfectly without going over any grass. Also as I said before everything else about it is great. Its fun. The graphics are nice. I love how there are people walking around and watching you race. Even the menus and loading screens and nice and professional quality. But I still think it could be better if there was just a little more speed and a little less drifting or if there was multiple difficulty settings with better turning on easy.

"You are in a video game, Max" funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing i could think of.
Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 17:52
No, its perfect, good amount of difficulty, keep it up drew! Games need to be hard, they need challenge, not blindingly difficult but ask yourself, what fun is a racing game or any competitive application where I can outdo the best on the first run? You know what that means to me? That means a trade in at the game store, not worth my time if I can smash a game that is meant to challenge you IE:sports, arcade and the like.

No I think Schump Karting is an excellent indie title and is one of the many games that serves as a testament to the greatness of esase and power DB give us.

Zombie - Supporter of DrewsGames

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee cappacino, JAVA!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 05:36:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 05:36:34