Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Maya and DarkGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
How do I get models from maya into dark gdk? Preferably for free...I\'m a poor starving student, who\'s taking a maya class next quarter so I can make a game, sell it on the internet, and make a bajillion dollars. Also, my parents said they\'d spring for maya, so which version should I get? I found the free version (Maya PLE), but it only saves into a special file format that I assume is difficult to get into dark GDK. So, uh, which version of maya should I get, and what tools do I need to convert maya\'s exports into a dark gdk readable format?

PS - The local Jr. College only teaches Maya and AutoCAD in terms of 3D drawing, no blender or 3DS is offered...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 17:02
Um... I am not a good modeler - I can code ok - but - from what I've been learning - if you don't get a good answer - then deal with this: It doesn't matter that much.

I mean that once you learn various techniques - and "How its done" generally - you usually can jump from one software package to another and figure out what they do and don't do. Often you MAY find yuorself using 4 modelling programs - at the same time - other times - you'll find that one does WELL for the WHOLE project!

With computers - learning "What's going on" is more important than how - because the HOW usually changes from vendor to vendor. So - I hope someone can answer you more specifically - but - ask your school what you should buy - and deal with it. Then - apply what you've learned to other modelers. And frankly - you may find you just need to buy some sort of COOL "Format" converter that can load Maya and save as something else!

Yakumo
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, slow down cowboy, seriously, get maya PLE, and the 3ds max 30 day trial, and check out some of the free modellers like Blender.

Tinker with them all a bit it'll help you understand things even though your course is only Maya based.

Your course will give you access to Maya Complete or Unlimited, keep your cash until after you've started your course and you KNOW you're getting on ok, and you KNOW you NEED a full version at home as you aren't getting enough time on a system at college, your sure that Maya PLE doesn't do what you need at that point, and you're absolutely sure it's worth the huge price tag to you at that point.

Otherwise save the money for something that might prove more important, like a car, a new computer, laptop, photoshop, food...

Oh, and if you do purchase don't forget you'll be able to get the educational versions at a massive discount.
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I figured it out! I bought maya complete (actually, my parents bought maya complete) and I figured out that I can export in the .dxf format, then send the .dxf file to my buddy on AIM who has 3DS, which can import .dxf and then export to .3ds, a format supported by darkGDK!
paopow2
Years of Service
User Offline
Just to let you know. DXF does not retain texture map information so all that texturing work in Maya will be for nothing. There were some exporters for directX in .x format so you can use Maya for animation, modeling and texturing. .x is one of the formats supported by GDK. Also, .3DS doesn't support bone animation so it is useless also. Good luck.
Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 19:19
@aersixb9:

Contact Right Hemisphere. Prove to them you are a student and buy the "Deep Exploration" program for Students for like $35. (Don't be fool that they list it as $1695)

Your mod has been erased by a signature
Yakumo
Years of Service
User Offline
Download the Maya bonus tools for your version (Maya 2008 if you just bought it I'd imagine) from http://area.autodesk.com (they're free)

one of the tools is a 3ds import plug-in.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:33:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:33:14