Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DirectX GUI layer

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Could someone point me towards some info on setting up a GUI in directX fullscreen mode with GDK running in fullscreen mode? I googled it, but didn't find anything useful. I need to set up a 2D GUI for my game that runs on top of the game when the user is docked at a planet or space station, and I don't really want to reinvent the wheel (unless absolutely necessary...)...also is DarkBlue getting ported? (Also is DarkBlue the GUI for DBP?) Thanks! I'm just looking for the easiest, simplest way to make a 2D GUI that sits on top of a 3D window (if it's partially transparent, that's great too)...I assume currently that easiest way is via DirectX GUI, but if there's an easier way let me know!
aersixb9
Years of Service
User Offline
Nobody knows how to implement a GUI???
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 16:48
It's not that we don't know how - I assure you. We have had many conversation about it. Using the DirectX API directly - will give you GUI in full screen mode - within your app - this is what BlueGui does - but it makes it easier in most cases to get where ya want - but if its not ported - you're out of luck there.

Many of our conversations have boiled down to something you already eluded that you aren't interested in: Just bite the bullet and make your own. In short - many of us agreed in one thread we were discussing this in that even though its more work - making you're own - 1: Tailors it for your exact needs - 2: Adds to your game's Unique look and feel (not cookie cutter) 3: allows you to get as crazy as you want in the appearance department - without limitations of a prewritten - "one size fits all" approach.

Personally - if I was full screen - and wanted menus "on top" - I'd go for the semi transparent approach - and figure out what I had to do to get the text on there reasonably fast and clean.

If I needed some data intense "widgets" - I'd go for the DirectX SDK reference materials.

Willy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 07:12
Hi, Do you have to have both full screen displays active at the same time? Can you switch between them?
It sounds like you are going to be offering menu options while they are docked (stationary). If the 3D view will always be the same at a particular planet or space station, can you use a little smoke and mirrors and have that view as a background photo, behind your menu option gui?
I know you prefer transparent, but if it isn't, why do you need anything behind the GUI? You won't be able to see it anyway...

Willy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:30:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:30:56