Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / I want to debug but it doesn´t work

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, guys!
Can anyone help me?
i´ve got a Programm and wantdo debug. But if I click on \\\"Start Debugging\\\" a dialog comes: !Please specify the name of the executable file to be used for the debug session\\\". What should I do?
What name should I write in?
I want to check my new program, but It doesn´t work.
Thanks in advance!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 17:38
I've personally had bad luck with that with DBPro. Easier with DarkGDK/C++ and probably DarkGD.NET also...but that doesn't help you.

What might, is making a function you can call that will dump "text" to a text file(appending it) from anywhere in your program - and do things like send out variable values, names, whatever hints are appropriate - right before you call a function or something you think suspect will explode. also another below that to say like "FunctionDrawCarFinished" etc...

I know its time consuming - and when you get past a problem - you need to go back and comment out all those calls to the "log" file - but this might be your best bet.

I also do in-game stuff - like write something to the screen - a sync - then a waitkey - I know it's knarly - but it can help in a pinch. In short - I only fight stuff so long before I try another way... that's what I'm eluding to. I never had results "Stepping through" dbpro - so I made a way to ALMOST do it - via print statements and (error) log file.

Good Luck! .... WAIT - I'm in a DarkGDK forum - duh!

You might need to go this route - but... What editor are you using to write your code in? VC2005 Express? VC2005? VC2003(hope not), VC2008? VC2008Express?

Sometimes - if you don't make your project initially as "multi-threaded" and Windows Console I think is what you tell it - it might not know the right entry point. For example - I can just hit f5 in my vc2005express - and step through code - no prompts etc - THOUGH this only works "well" in windowed mode - not full screen. I save "fullscreen" until I KNOW the code is running fine and I want to see it in it full (no task bar - and faster) glory.

TRY making a new project - as winconsole, multi-threaded app - also be sure your "RELEASE" and "DEBUG" config info is correct - like recommneded on the forums here - I think a sticky thread about installing/using GDK.

Steve1395
Years of Service
User Offline
HI!
I´ve changed in "options". But now the dialog comes:"Unable to start debugging". I don´t know what I should do.....
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2007 15:02
Sorry man - I don't know either - though you never said what version of a C++ editor you're using. Try something newer maybe? A pain to "start setup all over" but might help.

I didn't want to not respond - but I don't have an answer for you other than remove all directX, and related stuff - and reinstall a newer version or something - and the right directx etc.

dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Are you using Visual Studio 2008? If so what operating system?

dbGamerX

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 01:23
It sounds like you're trying to debug a DLL. That's the only time I've ever got this dialog.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:31:54
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:31:54