Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Windows 3.1/311 (Dont laugh, this is serious)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 04:23
Hi

B4 u all start to flame, this aint spam. I've found an old laptop of mine in the middle of my junk. It's a compaq with 486 processor and 8 megas of RAM. No CD-Rom or station, only the old damn disk. The hard drive is about 400 megas.

U won't believe me, but the battery is still working For like 15-20 minutes but it's impressive.

The thing is, I want to install win3.1 or 3.11 on it. How can I found those windows nowadays? Lol, could be funny to see this once powerfull machine running again

Thanks in advance
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 05:27
try ebay:

3.11 search on ebay

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 05:32
I cannot believe u already found it. Dude, u could ( if u already dont ) work as support for customer on the net

Great, and it's only 10 bucks Gonna be so sweet to see my computer working again...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Rogue
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 06:23
wow...someone here who doesn't know what i do?

everyone sing in unison!

heheh lol...i write technical documentation for a living. for the record, i have every intention of getting rich off of games

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 06:39
interesting...
why not put Win95 on it though?
i mean the WinG and Win32 are good, but won't run any DirectX version except 3 ... and its not exactly greatly compatible with 3 - lol

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 08:55
yeah, the win 95 should be good. However the hard disk is too small, less then 400 megas... Does anyone knows how big is win 95??? I never had one

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 19:58
well on min installation it is 35Mb ... Max is 120Mb

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 19:59
but then again you should be able to pickup an old 1.2Gb or something HDD for a few quid down your local second hand hardware shop

SpellSword
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 01:11
Win 95's pretty good, alittle unstable though.
I'd recommend you make sure that you'll have atleast
5 gigs (10 to be safe) free on your C:\ after Win95's in.
It's not nearly as bitchy about having free space as
98 but it still will show you some amazingly weird
things if you don't have the right amount backing it.
(Lock-ups,un-explained crashes, weird messages of doom!)
(When I say memory, I mean on your Hard-Drive not your Ram.)

I still use my 486 to play some of the older games I've
got, Win 3.1's all you really need on that machine.

(X-Com: UFO Defence Force, Ultima Underworld 1&2...
I love those classics!)

It's small and unlike Win95 it's almost compeletly stable.

(Don't get me wrong, Win95's a good OS in it's own way,
it's much smaller then Win98 and doesn't complain about
memory as much as Win98.)

Dos 6.2 & Win 3.1, that combination is powerful!

------------------------------------------
When I dream, I carry a sword in one hand,
and a gun in the other...
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 03:21
Hmmmm, entresting opinions here Well, the install of Win95 was really MUCH smaller then I thought, thanks for the tips Vegeta Though, I not really think I can find a Hard Drive for a laptop so old here One Giga and I really should be happy

SpellSword, that was the configuration I had before. But I was a kid when I had that computer and I deleted and renamed everything till it crashes, so I've formated and wanna make it run again I actually need only win 3.1, not even 3.11

Well, I will see if I can find Win 95 in Disks and Buy that one from E-bay I just love old computers, it's damn funny to play with them...
My very first one was a XT computer, those ones has no HD at all...U simply boot the machine with a boot disk, and then change the disk with the program u wanna use... That's something REALLY primitive. And the disk was really big and low capacity, those 5,14 Low... Games like Out Run were great on it...
Ok, I will stop my flashback before I start to cry

Thanks you all for tips

-Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 04:41
yeah Dos 6.22 with Win 3.1 is great, just won't run Dx properly (if at all!) is all i was saying.
Sides if he is good with Autoexec/Config.sys development he should be able to create a menu system to boot into either
I still have an old Win95b machine for playing all my old games with a Sound Blaster 16 IDE, S3 Trio64v2 Dx 2mb, 4x CD-Rom, 4.3Gb Hdd ... yup those were the days
God, but i remember right back to Acorn Electrons being BRAND NEW - XT/AT were the superfast computer and £250 got you a Breeze block sized 10Mb HDD which sounded like it was about to take off whenever you accessed it!!
non of this fancy CGA/EGA stuff neither proper Green & White Monochrome 12" monitors!!

hehee... god when a chess game was state of the art, and elite was still being idlely thought about by Ian Bell hehee god those were the days.

if ya machine booted up in less time that it took you to make a tea then you knew it was a state of the art might huge noisy box in the corner

oki oki i swear i'll stop

Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 13:52
Here is a question to you my friends
I've just got from a friend a DOS 6.22 and I've installed in my computer. I'm getting the following message when I boot the mighty machine:

"ERROR: Unable to control A20 Line.
XMS Driver Not Installed.

HMA Not available. Loading DOS low

C:\>C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
SMARTDrive cannot be loaded because the XMS driver, HIMEM.SYS is not loaded. Check the CONFIG.SYS for a device=himen.sys command line.

Well, this is a question maybe few can answer. Just the dudes who have been working with computers since a long ago...
Here is also my Config.Sys stuff:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEN.SYS
DOS=HIGH
COUNTRY=046,850,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)
FILES=30

I start to have some flashbacks why this computer ended up in the basement Please any help should be GREATLY appreciated, maybe even our Master programmer Rich could give it a shout
Arghhh...I wanna try the ICQ, Windows Commander and the other sweet things for win 3.1

P.S: with this error message, it's not possible to install any OS

Thanks once again!!!

-Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 14:06
Raven Vegeta Wrote:

"God, but i remember right back to Acorn Electrons being BRAND NEW - XT/AT "

Dude, me too, I think we are about the same age

-Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 22:51
I dont think anyone knows I cannot believe this little computer is beatin' me. I've been working with this for 26 hours in a roll I need some sleep and try again...

-Rogue
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 05:00
I fixed. It was a way to work around it in the MS homepage. Can u believe on it? After so many years they still have a great support for Dos and Win 3.1, that's why one day I will work there too to make a Dungeon Siege 3 lol

Thanks u all.

-Rogue
Dean
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 07:16
win 3.11 rocks!

95 is better though

goto http://the-junkyard.net/nazca
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 07:24
yeah, I just use in my life 3x, NT, 98, 2000 and now XP. I've jumped over the 95 But that also means that I jumped from my 486 to a Intel 300 MHZ so that's nice, but I missed a lot

-Rogue
SpaceInvader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 16:30
I've never had Win3.1 on my PC, but I've used it. On my computers, I've have Win95, Win98, WinME, and WinXP Pro. Also several older versions of the Mac operating system on various black and white Macs I've owned.
I sure wish I had a DOS system right now, or at least a Win95 one. I really want to play WIng Commander Privateer. Some company should buy the rights to the Wing Commander series and rerelease the Win32 versions. And make a Privateer Win32 version. (The original WC games 1, 2, and 3 were released in slightly enhanced Win32 versions, but they can't be found anywhere for less than $250 dollars used. Privateer, the second-best overall WC game, was never updated.)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 10:53:09
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 10:53:09