Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

The 20 Line Challenge / Number Tumblers

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 15:39 Edited at: 19th Jun 2003 18:14
Been making this game since the remakes.org retro comp was announced because i was gonna make a spiced up version of it for that. But instead i thought it would be ideal for a 20 line entry.

The game is more fun with 2 players, but you can play solo and just let the other bal bounce on the spot; if it beats you, HAH in advance. You play on an 8x8 grid of cubes, with numbers on them, bouncing around and the number gets added to or taken away from your score, or your score gets multiplied or divided by the number. This depends on what operation is next, which is displayed in the corners. Player 1 is in the bottom left, and player 2 is in the top right. The operation shown will be the one used after the bounce, so you have a chance to change direction in order to make sure you dont divide by 20 . The game gets faster and faster and near the end it goes crazy, so i advise you have a reasonable score by then.

Controls:

Player One - Arrow Keys
Player Two - WASD

Hint: If you are in negative numbers and the next operation is *, dont go for 20 . We're all programmers here, good at maths and all... post your high scores.

I dont think ive forgotten anything, so enjoy.

EDIT-> Knew id forget something... It was made with DBPro and im not sure if it works in classic. Find out and post if you would.

uk.geocities.com/maniacimagine check it out. ill soon be formally opening it.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 19:16
some lines too long for classic and as you used ; instead of : to separate the commands the 20 line expander won't do the job either

hi guys
andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2003 23:07
It's pretty cool. Except it dosen't give right numbers. For example, I had 20 points and landed on a 20 spot and a * was next and my score went to 4. Maybe I just don't understand how to play.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Click Here!!!
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 01:08
lol yeah it takes a bit of gettin used to... basically the ball only changes direction after the bounce, and you have to be holding down the new direction. Because of this, the operation shown cant possibly be the one which is going to happen, otherwise you wouldnt be able to move... instead the one shown will be for the bounce after the current one. Eg if it says * , it will bounce, and that will be the previous operation, then the symbol will change but this next bouce will be for the *. Quite simple when u get the hang of it. And this way makes it quite challenging when the time gets less than 20 secs... maybe i should add a line saying the symbol which is about to come into affect on this bounce... will only be about 4 commands...

andrew11
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 01:19
It would be much easier to play if you did that. Also maybe computer AI. Wouldn't be too hard. The hard part is making the computer dumb enough so it dosen't pick all th right conbinations.

"All programmers are playwrites and all computers are lousy actors" -Anon
Click Here!!!
Cras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2003 01:25 Edited at: 20th Jun 2003 01:28
ok slight change to hopefully aid the learning process. Now you can see how the next moves to current and its this current that affects the current bounce, so you can figure out the the next is not talking about the current bounce but the one after it. I hope there are no more problems... i was on about 100 million, the it went less than 20 and i got about 10 / 20 s and i went into the negatives... wasnt good

EDIT-> didnt see your post, but i just so you know its actually more confusing to me... thats why i made current much smaller. Once you know which bounce the next is talking about its simple... that is until it goes crazy when the timer goes less than 20 . I thought id struggle for 20 lines, but turns out i didnt, so i probably could have had A.I, but the 20 line comp for this month is announced in a few days i think, so i dont have time what with college + work. Nevermind, ill add it someday, but if this one doesnt win, ill have to make another for next month lol

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:23:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:23:30