Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Bump maping and other questions...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2007 19:49
Hi, I am n00b to all things DB. Most of my programming I have done in 3D has been in Blitz3D.. and the way B3D and Dark do their functions and object handling is alot different, so please bare with me.

What I really want to know right now is, what does it take to get a space ship model to have a diffuse map, bump map, and self-illumination map? Maybe a specular map also. But at the VERY least a bump map. Do I need to become a god at editing .FX files before I can even BEGIN to think about having bump maps on my models, or is there some simpler way?

Also is adding bloom to an object (lets say a nebula that's comprised of alot of 2-sided quads and textured with a PNG with an alpha map) as easy as finding a bloom.fx and applying it to it? Or do I need to make my own shader for it.

I DO NOT MIND editing .fx files, I just have 0 experience with them and higher forms of vertex stuff.

If you anwser anything, anwser how to get bump mapping on a object. And does the actual bump mapping texture need to be a normal map (with all those pretty colors) or can I use the black/gray/white height-map like ones I've been using?

Thanks abunch for any helpful responses.
Galaxy613
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2007 03:51
...no body knows how to bump map models in DGDK? That's disheartening.
FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
The built in command for bump maping , doesnt work for me :S
And the other shaders ive found doesnt work neither.
Its not so disheartening..
Fox Dark Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 14:09
well in the GDK Showcase you have a demo about how to apply that stuff. Either way you can use the GDK manual which have the syntax of that. If you want to try then download the GDK

Tugapod
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 14:42 Edited at: 26th Dec 2007 14:44
There are some built in shaders - but some are problematic... Like I hear the BumpMapping is. (DOn't knwo first hand) But you want to search for Evolved's Shaders, Green Gandalf's Shaders... Here in the forums - (DarkBasic Forums Side too) - This way you have *.fx files to start with... and if they do what you want great - perhaps you start "Tweaking them" and maybe eventually figure out fx stuff - but - you don't need to learn it... but you need to have good internet detective skills to find the good ones

[edit] and I just saw some other posts about shders and "Load Effect" being Broken. It's not broken.[/edit]

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 00:46 Edited at: 27th Dec 2007 00:48
I haven't played with this new version of the gdk but I remember that for a long time shaders just didn't work, even though the pre-compiled shader demo worked fine (if you re-compiled it from the sources it wouldn't work either).

I believe only one of this year's releases finally addressed it. Unfortunately I found out that some of the header files in this new release seemed to have regressed to an older version (there are recent prototypes missing) so it _may_ be that the current release is based on a slightly older version of the source.

This, of course, makes absolutely no sense to me - but then again I must admit that I do not fully understand how TGC operate on technical terms, as it's not unheard of the same bugs coming and going. I certainly believe they should improve their regression testing...

I have vague plans for World Domination
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 04:56
... hahah - we all hate running into snags... but - compared to many BIGGER outfits... um ... like Microsoft - I think TGC has a pretty decent "works to Not Works" ratio

I'm finding out little "things" here and there myself - but so far all of them have a reasonable workaround.

For Example: dbGetMatrix4Element(id,ix); is simply missing. But a LIT showed me a simple directx call and it does the same thing.

Object In Screen - does not work at all how one would think - or want - but I learned some really neat MAtrix stuff from LIT's frustrum occlusion culling port.

I heard how bump shading was tweaked and yet saw examples of a bunch of different ways to get the same effect and more.

Tip: If something is busted - mention it on here on how to get it done - I always get a ton of help - and I've never been "STUCK" for more than a few days - and that's the EXTREME CASE. Usually - I'm literally straightened out in less than 30 minutes.

Remember - it is a business - they can only toss more resources when $$$ is coming in. At $50 here, 60$ there, $500 here, $30 there - it takes a lot of sales to make a payroll.

Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 14:09 Edited at: 27th Dec 2007 14:10
Quote: "Remember - it is a business - they can only toss more resources when $$$ is coming in. At $50 here, 60$ there, $500 here, $30 there - it takes a lot of sales to make a payroll.
"

I don't dispute that - I know you can only do so much with so many people. But releasing something based on an older codebase is just odd.

They either found out there was something else hopelessly wrong with the previous version of the (paid) GDK or someone wasn't paying attention when he tagged the current version in source control.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 16:24
I'll buy that as a potential issue. I'll also find it believable if (knowing their goal is to make one code base for both DirectX 9 and 10) TGC decided to "back Out" some code that was using a particular technique to one that was more portable for DirectX10 also.

They are trying to make it so we can code DarkBasic Pro and/or GDK (.net too) in a way that one code base can be used for both DirectX versions. Naturally - we'll have to use care when deciding on what commands to use - if we are trying to support one, both, or the other.... Kind of like checking a video card's abilities before you enable a shader - etc.

Dunno. I think many of us feel your frustration at times depending on what we're doing - but I've yet to find another system that is quite as flexible as this one - for the price and such.

BTW - I like your sig "I have Vague plans for World Domination"

sadsack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 22:23
where do I find GDK Showcase?????
renny
Miguel Melo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "BTW - I like your sig "I have Vague plans for World Domination" "

LOL thanks. I came up with that one some 10 years ago and thought the idea behind it was so absurd it was a keeper. I've been using it as a tagline since.

One day a colleague turned to me and said "Is that a Woody Allen quote?"... and I don't think I was ever that proud of myself. I'd even go so far as saying that it beat the day my daughter was born

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 23:50

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:29:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:29:41