Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Visual Studio 2008 Professional - Compatible Installer?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Does anyone know if there is an installer for DarkGDK that is compatible with Visual Studio 2008 Professional? It seems that I can't install it because I don't have Visual Studio 2008 C++ Express, though I have VC++ 2008 as part of the Professional version.

Thanks,
-Jeff

FERSIS
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you have VStudio 2008 full or the Trial ?
if you got the trial , i recommend you to get the Express Version.
Cheers
Jeff032
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got the full version.

John Bailey
Years of Service
User Offline
The installer doesn't setup Visual Studio 2008 professional, but it is pretty straightforward to do the setup yourself and the GDK works perfectly with Visual Studio 2008 Professional.

Go ahead and install the Dark GDK. After the installation is finished there will be a link to the installation pdf placed in your start menu (The Game Creators>>Dark GDK>>Installation). Follow the instructions in the installation document to manually add the link and include directories.

In the Dark GDK installation directory, you will find the project templates (C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards). You will also find the Visual Studio configuration files (C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\files\). Create a Dark GDK directory under the C++ projects directory (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcprojects). Copy the files from the files directory mentioned above to this location. Edit each vsz file and change the ABSOLUTE_PATH parameter to the directory for each project (not the directory for the solution, but the acutal project directory; ie: C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game for the basic game project).

When you launch Visual Studio 2008 Professional and create a project, you will find the templates under C++ in their own DarkGDK section (see attachment).

From there everything should work correctly.

In an infinite universe, all things are possible.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zolomon
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello!

I am trying to get DarkGDK to work with VS2008 Professional as well, but I get an error saying that "DarkGDK.h" does not exist?

What should be done with the project templates?

I only copied the files from the files directory into a Dark GDK directory that I created under the C++ directory.

Thanks for any help at all!
Cheers,
Zolomon
John Bailey
Years of Service
User Offline
That error (DarkGDK.h does not exist) isn't with the templates, but with the link and include directory paths. The installation document includes instructions on manually setting these.

Under the "C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Files" directory you will find a number of files in sets of three. There should be an ico, vsdir and vsz file for each template. These are the only files you should copy to the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcprojects\Dark GDK" directory which you created. You will need to edit each vsz file and change the line that points to the directory to point to the correct project location (project, not the solution directory). For example: in "Dark GDK - 2D Game.vsz" change the line Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D" to "Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game". Note that the directory goes to the project directory, not to the solution directory. After making these changes, the templates should now show up under VC++ when creating new projects and you should be able to create new projects with these templates without issue.

Good Luck

In an infinite universe, all things are possible.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:22:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:22:01