Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Split window in GDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I have two different VC++ console apps which are two seperate projects. One is a text based AI chatterbot program I wrote and the other is my GDK animation stuff. I want to combine them into the same window. I can position my animation just fine but does anybody know how I can tell the text from the AI stuff where it should position itself on the screen so that it's nicely off to one side of the animation and stays nicely off to one side.

regards

m0ng00se
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 05:40
Without pulling in Windows Controls, via direct X or other means - you'd have to write your own little "Console" "Terminal" emulator - that is, make a way to track where letters are, scrolling aw-jo-magically etc. This would involve 100% involvement and control to do this manually.

m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Sry to restart this thread without "bumping" it sooner but I was away over Xmas for a week.

Thnx for that Jason. What you're saying is I just can't let some Win API do it all for me like it does in a pure console text based program?

Okay another question then... I've been playing with the DARK GDK text functions instead such as dbText(); etc which does sort of give me exact control... except the text doesn't wordwrap at the edge of the console so I'm wondering how to read in from a file into a buffer and then display the buffer and wrap the text properly?

I find GDK brilliant for animation but I'm struggling trying to get decent interactive text display which even the most basic VC++ Win app handles by itself.

I wish I could say x,y co-ordinates blah blah are a console app so handle it for me and the rest is my animation part of the screen which I'll manually code quite happily, all within the same game console window.

m0ng00se (NZ)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:29:45
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:29:45