Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DarkGDK C++ 2008 Ted Terrain Loader - Source-Media-Exe - Happy Holidays!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2007 22:37 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2007 22:39

ftp://jegas.com/ExampleTedTerrain.zip
http://www.jasonpetersage.com/ExampleTedTerrain.zip

Happy Holidays Guys.

Btw - The Keyboard instructions are in readme.txt, you can mess with the cloud settings in the island02.epr text file, and there is an airport somewhere - maybe you find it

Happy Holidays,
Best Regards,
Jason P Sage

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 06:34 Edited at: 24th Dec 2007 06:35
Is this the T.ED Professional for terrain located here http://www.thegamecreators.com/?f=ted

If so, thanks a lot!

-James

Your mod has been erased by a signature
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 06:47
Yes Sir. I mean - I created the media with Ted located here etc. Version 6.2 I think. I manually edited the EPR file - to add some custom values (could do in Ted, I just didn't) for the clouds that move.

Note - when looking at the code - I used my own double linked list classes and String Classes (except for some basic str functions - like strlen etc.)

Basically there are TED classes (Named like JFC_TED, JFC_TEDSKY, JFC_TEDWATER, etc.)

when you load a ted terrain - it fills INITS and Sources, and each Section Individually. You'll then notice that when you "Apply" the loaded data it goes through and creates the scene - one "Section" at a time, loads the meshs... whella.

You may notice where it loads the world - the path is "./island02"

That is because the call needs a dir name. "." works - as I jammed all the data in one dir. You also don't want the file extension - .epr ...its implied. Should run out of the box. Let me know how it works out for you.

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm, so this basically loads the .TED file into DGDK? That's awesome! Is there any chance of this being achieved in DBP?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2007 14:57
Veron - Happy Holidays - um... Yes. Lost in Thought (aka LIT) made one. http://www.d-grafix.com/?page=ted#DOWN There is a dark basic EPR loader there.

On the [href]www.d-grafix.com[/href] there is (if you hunt) some tips for working out DarkBasic Soltuions. I never found a perfect scenario. Meaning - SuperTexture or Alpha - Lots of Mem in Textures one way, and double poly count the other. Note - this isn't TED's Fault.

"Texture Splatting" as is used in TED - doesn't translate well to DarkBasic Commands - though directX is more than capable of doing it. It can be done - but I'm still stuck how to get Terrain Output to be displayed how it was meant to be. (100% anyways) supertextures come close - but suck up vid ram.

I also have this alpha demo on my own harddrive. It isn't necessary I don't think for Ted 6.?, but earlier versions. Just look at it. I think it splits up and tiles heigth maps or something. Between these - you should be at a good starting point for DB. Also I have some exe that will take the Ted 5.? (2 Direct.X files per tile and it combines them. Version Ted 6.0 comes with something for that)

Good Luck!
Jason P Sage

(It is frustrating at times depending on your needs. Great Editor - just hard to get light map and texture splatting working in DarkBasic with htose media files).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
dbGamerX
Years of Service
User Offline
Happy holidays. You've truely outdone yourself this time, Jason! Looks awesome!

dbPrint ( "Sig" );
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 16:33
Thanx dbGamerX There is a bit of interesting source in there as well... I kind of released this for a number of reasons. I hope some coders will see something they can use - I have string stuff in there, homebrew Dynamic Linked Lists (Like Dynamic Array More or less) and other goodies for those that maybe want to see stuff they perhaps never coded - just to see what's involved.

I also Recommend looking at things like STDLIB and stuff. All these things need to tie together to get results like this.

I HATE the Z Fighting though of the Water. I think its because of the Camera Range I have is set HIGH - so rounding errors are significant enough for radical bouncyness.

But thanx - I'm trying to get better with my next round of Terrain
stuff - and I'm definately not the only one beating up virtual dirt these days - there are alot of terrain, mesh, shader threads all over the forums - many are making editors for their game "engines" or just making editors for the sake of it....

It's actually an exciting time to be learning about terrain - everywhere I look - someone has learned a new shader technique, rendering technique, way to move a cursor around a mesh like a PRO editor...etc.

neiklot96
Years of Service
User Offline
I was able to download your file, unzip it, double click the sin file which launched gdk 2008, double clicked a cpp files, hit f5 and use the key pad to navigate around the world. Thank you. Could you also create a brief walkthrough of how you got this out of ted and which options you selected in the export pop up?

I just bought TED on 12/25/2007 hoping it would help streamline the building of terrain for gdk 2008 and make terrain creation easier. The software seems to be geared for blitz... not darkbasic. The help file mentions blitz a lot which was discouraging and it seems like ted is going to be just another piece of software to try to force to work with gdk. It didn't even come with a hello world style tutorial to show you how to build something simple, export it to dark basic, paste some code in to get it to work, compile it and walk around the world you just created. I guess I just expect too much but the ted interface requires a non intuitive learning curve and I don't want to get involved unless I know I can get something simple to work.
neiklot96
Years of Service
User Offline
At this point I canot recommend TED to anyone as something that makes building terrain for gdk games easier. TED tutorials are incomplete and confusing. Thank god I know nothing and can provide an objective viewpoint. I saw TED advertised on The Game Creators website, read about it, bought it, then found out it was meant for Blitz, kept reading the tutorials and included help files hoping I would be able to still get it to work somehow, gave up, tried the forums from the software menu, the link was broken, tried finding the forums and found this 3rd party walkthrough which does work but does not explain ted export options and best choices. I know it takes a community to raise a child but I feel obligated to put a warning on the forum in hopes that ted will either create a better tutorial or to at least let potential buyers know what happened to me. I think ted is a step in the right direction but needs more work before it can help the individual make a terrain for a gdk 2008 game.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 00:22
I'm glad you were able to check it out... but simple it wasn't! Tutorial - is asking a bit much BUT there is a DarkBasic Loader on their Web site under TED->Downloads. I had to do ALOT of reverse engineering to start really getting it - as well as searching the TED forums for hints etc.. Like what certain Blitz Flags meant - so I could TRY to "Emulate" effect in DB where possible.

The trick was really opening the EPR file and trying to get the hang of what kind of data is saved when you use various "export formats".

I think ted is good, there are few bugs that are still being worked out of it but it's one of the better "Canned" system's I've seen where you buy it and can make whatever you want without restrictions placed on you etc.... Object Plament, scaling, rotating, etc.

It IS geared toward Blitz, The much desired Alpha Mapping uses 2 times the poly, and super textures are the best solution - but you need to watch their size or you'll kill your vid card's ram.

I DO LIKE the EPR file format - it is after all almost a mini script - or INI file. My reasons for abandonment were about the Light Mapper Blowing up, seams in prior version - fixed - but if couldn't get it to work - having a all white light map with no seams is moot.

I really was trying to PUSH TED into large terrain stuff - but to utilize the output - it boilds down to Supertextures - and seams - or Nice Alpha Blended - and DOUBLE the poly...

I'm glad you you were able to see some of what it can do - and I believe it's capble of much more. I've seen some Aweomse landscapes done with it - though getting them looking the same way in DarkBasic Pro or DarkGDK is a challenge.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:16:03
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:16:03