Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / X10 review - got my copy today - Merry Christmas all

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 10:48
First off, merry Christmas, and I hope those who got FPSCX10 today enjoy it.

I was patient so I waited until christmas before I got my copy of X10. I have an Acer laptop with a NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT card, 256 mb. I installed FPSCX10 then fired it up. I tested one of the levels and with full settings on (no enemies) it ran between 60 and 120 FPS, which is good considering the card.

I tested again with one enemy and the frame rate lowered a small bit. Anything more than four characters at once, I don't recommend.

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of new media but the new features made up for this. There are a few things that should be added. I think the weapons should have that "lazy" move when the player looks around with the mouse, you know when you look around, the gun takes a moment to catch up with the view.

Just my little review. I might post some screenshots later. Thank you TGC for such a great product.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
Tutelage Systems
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I think the weapons should have that "lazy" move when the player looks around with the mouse"

It will be interesting to see what new stuff will come into play once DarkBasic X10 is released along with the source code to FPSC. (The engine part)
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 21:24 Edited at: 25th Dec 2007 21:25
I'm amazed with the graphics. I just love playing around, even the stock media looks good in X10 when you mess around with bloom and stuff.

Here's a screenshot. World war 2 media, a gun battle...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 21:28 Edited at: 25th Dec 2007 21:31
Different colour in the scene...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Drapes#10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2007 23:02
Love the screens. I'm waiting for the boxing day sales to see if I can get a good price on a GE force 8600
and vista.

SirEus game studios =___MAKING DIFFERENT KINDS OF FPS___=
Snipesoul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 00:02
Nice work Opposing force! If you can, can you try to enable the dynamic shadows please. Oh, and is there such thing as a "safe zone?" I remember Lee mentioning this as a marker that can be placed behind objects so characters can duck behind it. If there is such thing, can you put some behind the sandbags so the enemies can duck behind it. Do you think you can also post a vid (Sorry, a little too eager for X10!)

Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTX
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 00:35 Edited at: 26th Dec 2007 00:37
Opposing force,

Nice scene set up.

X10 features :

The bloom looks awful except for the fact that it could a scene at be early morning sunrise and would look fine except that the water would not be so bright because the sun would not be high in the Sky. For the rest of a day the sky would be unrealistic unless a Nuclear bomb had exploded which is a nice idea. For an early morning sunrise the mood and colours are excellent. Not sure how X10 game makers will carry morning throughout their games. Not a problem I guess morning is good.

The Scene of course is squashed which makes the scene look very unrealistic, silly and unprofessional.

These latter things are nothing to do with your level design of course but are X10 issues. Sorry I dont sound to be harsh in your thread and I am not. Your scene is actually really a very good action scene which is why I comment at all - its not usually my way. The scene is the best I think I have seen come out of X10. Good design and camera angles on the screen shots.
I like the idea of the below ground level feel.

Good work.

Thanks for showing us. Can you let us see another pic with some sky visible and without the bloom.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say Now?"
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 01:50
Quote: "The Scene of course is squashed which makes the scene look very unrealistic, silly and unprofessional.
"

I don't suppose you could define "squashed" for this instance...

Vote today and play the games!
AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 01:59
Thanks for the wwii screens!

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 04:49
Airslide,

Sorry I mean that wide screen displays show the scene in a distorted perspective similarly to that displayed by Wide Screen TV's. I am not sure if X10 has any means of adapting the video image it displays to a screen without disrtortion of what is seen when stretching the image to fit, affecting game world object proportions seen most obviously in Character distortion, if not then it should as should all game engines and so should televisions. Whether or not it is a fact of modern technology displays it is incorrect in as much as it is not representative of the real world. I do not see distorted humans or other objects in the real world and I see no reason why we should be subjected to such in our view of it in our use of the technologies we use to view representations of it.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say Now?"
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 15:46
Quote: "I tested again with one enemy and the frame rate lowered a small bit. Anything more than four characters at once, I don't recommend. "

4 characters! I thought this was supposed to have instancing and be able to handle loads and loads of characters

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 17:51
And I have a quote for you...

Quote: "I have an Acer laptop with a NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT card, 256 mb."

Clear Water
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice screens. Maybe you could make that into a game. Anyway, I also have a laptop with the same video card and as I am waiting for my order to get here I was starting to get a little worried about what I was going to be able to do considering I had an NVIDIA Geforece 8600 GT 256mb. Now that I see your thread and the wonderful screenshots I feel even better.

Thanks!,
ClearWater

By the way, do you mind telling us the frame rate of the screens? Im kind of curious.

Intel Core 2 Duo T7250/2.0GHz 800MHz 2M L2 Cache/2GB DDR2
667MHz 2 Dimm/256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT & 250 Gig Hd
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 22:00
@Uman - Yea, I kinda see it now. I saw it in an X10 demo, thinking it was my widescreen display, but the original FPSC doesn't look that bad. I'm guessing they were fiddling with the aspect ratio and forgot to change it back

Vote today and play the games!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 23:02 Edited at: 26th Dec 2007 23:03
Opposing force, Airslide,

I did not mean to be rude by the way about the screen shots here. The scene looks very good as I said. Its good to see FPSC characters busy doing something. I guess when you have quite a few one or the other is always shooting, reloading or whatever.

chees hed
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2007 23:09
ACTIONY ACTION SCENES WITH ACTIONLY PACKED ACTION INTO THE ACTIONY ACTION WOAH! (capps off )

hello little children UUUAAHHH ARRRGG HELP ITS GOT ME AAAHHHHHHH...... BBBRRRAAAIIINNS, HUNGRY.

Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 18:24
hi,

i ordered my copy on 27th Decmbr how long does it usually take to arrive?????

j....r
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 18:24
hi,

i ordered my copy on 27th Decmbr how long does it usually take to arrive?????

j....r
Asteric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 18:26
hi i ordered my copy on 27th december how long does it usually take to arrive?????

j....r

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:54:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:54:21