Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / The sample Dark GDK 3D code in Visual C++ can’t find the “d3dx9.h” file.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
The sample Dark GDK 3D code in Visual C++ can’t find the “d3dx9.h” file.

1) I downloaded Visual C++ 2008 Express and wrote a few programs, it works fine.

2) Then I downloaded DirectX 9.0c SDK August 2007 version (Not the November 2007 version since there a huge implied difference, which may or may not be true). All of which claims to have installed correctly.

3) Then I downloaded Dark GDX which claims to have installed correctly, but the GDK install process, at first, can't find the DirectX 9.0c SDK.

I'm using Vista's 64 bit version on an HP dv9500t laptop, and followed the Installation Guide at: http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/?f=install then opened Visual C++ as Administrator, and selected: File, New, Project. However, at first there was no Wizard option under Project Types.

I then ran the Dark GDX Install application twice at: “C:\Users\c\Documents\MSDN\Game Creators Dark GDK” which finally recognized that DirectX 9.0c (August 2007) was already installed. Then the DarkGDK Wizards in C++ became available, and standard sample code was obtained in Visual C++ for a simple 3D project. I then did a Build Solution which failed due to a fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'd3dx9.h' No such file or directory. Apparently the file: “d3dx9.h” couldn’t be found, although there’s an “#include <d3dx9.h>” in darksdkcamera.h. Is there any way to resolve this reference or the lack of a “d3dx9.h” file?

Apparently the d3dx9 file defines numeric variables. However, the C1083 Error can have several alternative meanings, such as: subdirectory is read only, no access permission, not enough file handles, etc. Naturally, it would never occur to me that I ever could or would ever want to inhibit working memory access. But I'm guessing there’s another issue, which apparently is not documented.

Could this mean that I need to download Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) Update for Windows Vista of 3/22/2007 (1.2 GB)?

Dec. 26, 2007
Woozl
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Tom,

Sounds to me like VC++ doesn't know where to look for the include files from the DX SDK installation.

Try manually adding the path to your DirectX SDK install in VC++:

~ In VC++, go to TOOLS | OPTIONS

~ On the left side of the OPTIONS dialog, find and expand the "Projects and Solutions" item.

~ Under this, find 'VC++ Directories' and click on that.

~ On the right side of the dialog box, at the top, you will see a pulldown list labelled 'Show Directories For'
~ Select "Include Files" from this list.

Below this you should see a large text box with a list of paths to various include directories...
such as:
$(VCInstallDir)Include
$(VCInstallDir)atlmfc\include
$(WindowsSdkDir)\include
$(FrameworkSDKDir)include

~ if you see this a line like this:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Include

Make sure that is where your DirectX SDK is actually installed. If not, you can either correct this entry by double-clicking on it and editing the text, or you can add a new line (with the correct path to your DX SDK folder) by clicking on the little folder icon above the text box.

~ If you don't see the above line, locate the path to your DirectX SDK (August 2007) install and then add it to the list as described above.

~ Click on OK on the OPTIONS Dialog, then restart VC++.

VC++ SHOULD now be able to find the d3dx9.h file.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Woozl
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 11:19
Quote: "Could this mean that I need to download Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) Update for Windows Vista of 3/22/2007 (1.2 GB)?"

No. What you need is to define a path to the "include" directory in your DirectX SDK. You can do this in project settings or in Visual Studio settings to make it valid for all your projects. The latter option can be managed in Options|Projects & Solutions|VC++ Directories. There you can choose Header files from the combo box and add a valid path to the DXSDK\Include folder.

This should do the trick, it has nothing to do with the GDK.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:26:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:26:20