Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / FPS Creator REALLY Slow!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay, yesterday I installed the new RAM and stuff I got for Christmas. Well, I know how FPSC reccomends 256 or higher or RAM. I have a gig of RAM. I have a pentium 4 proccessor, a 30 gig harddrive, a 320 gig external. I installed FPS creator on the 30 gig hardrive, and ran it. (I installed the first 6 model packs and sprite packs I got, and the newest update for fpscreator) I noticed scrolling the map it was a bit slow, then when I ran my test game, it lagged, and the sounds wern't even caught up to the actions! I am not running any other things while I am using FPSC, so why is it lagging? I have DirectX 9, and meet all the reqirements, I don't understand!

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 20:00
This belongs in the Bugs Board.

Wait....350Gb of space?! Are you trying to put 'Whales: The Game' on your system?

Failure to Cooperate
Coming to a PC near you.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
well, the 320 is an external hardrive.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 20:06
Oh. I though you wanted to put 'Whales' on your PC. I...guess I was wrong. *eyes twitches*

Failure to Cooperate
Coming to a PC near you.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
What is it with your obsession with "Whales"?

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 20:14
You know: whales are big, you have all that computer space. whales+350Gb=50Kb left. I'm just joking.

Really, though. I don't know what to tell ya. Reinstall FPSC, install v107 if you haven't, and tell us the results.

Failure to Cooperate
Coming to a PC near you.
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the current version up to date, it says I only have a framerate of roughly eleven when I hit tab!

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 21:08
What speed is your CPU and what video card do you have? Unless your hard drive was getting full, the size is pretty much irrelevant. As a general rule, you need about three times your physical RAM in drive space, so if you have 3 gigs of continuous free pace on your C drive, then that's fine. Your slowdown is probably in your video, unless you have a very early P4.

Best.

KenPaulio
Years of Service
User Offline
Try installing direct x10 also if you are running any programs like limewire torrent in such exit them It helps on my game
Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 22:47
I recommend setting Physics On to no for static objects.

I don't know if that'll help; I heard somewhere that it does.

Failure to Cooperate
Coming to a PC near you.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 23:47
"I recommend setting Physics On to no for static objects."

It certainly does. You should checek every entity object in a level and always make sure settings are set to Physics off and Dynamic off for all object entities unless there is a good reason for them having Physics on and being Dynamic.

It just helps a little, in this instance though lagg could be caused by many things. We just do not have enough information about the system spec overall or the game level design and content to have much of a concept of whats going on.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say now?"
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I didn't have any entities...I built a room, put a roof on it, and ran the game, and BOOM, lag. And DirectX 10 is only for vista.

Zdrok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 00:17
Maybe you need the newer version of DirectX9.

Failure to Cooperate
Coming to a PC near you.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 00:42
crispex,

Then you have a serious problem that no one can answer because that is not logical unless you have a really poor computer. FPSC is slow and has many issues which cause slowdowns but a simple single room should not be one of them.

Try a few more simple levels using some different segments. See how they behave.

If you have any example tutorial type levels that come with FPSC try building and running them see what the results are with those.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say now?"
crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I compiled them up, and ran them, and they go just as slow.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 01:39 Edited at: 28th Dec 2007 01:39
You mean the default examples that come with FPSC?

You still have not said what your Video Card specs are? How old is the computer. The cpu may have a bearing. If you have an older machine cramming it full of ram or even giving it a big hard disk will not necessarily improve the situation. A system too has to be both well balanced and have fully compatible components. If one component is a bottleneck then any benefits add ons or updates give will be wasted. e.g. No good having a fast top of the range Video card if the cpu or hard disk works at a snails pace.

That said you probably just need do something simple. If you know your system, DirectX and all else is up to date and all other things check out as people here are suggesting then it may be your FPSC installation.

You do not say which Version of FPSC you are using? If you do decide to reinstall FPSC make sure you back up your work and anything else you need to first. That would be sensible.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 01:45
@uman, He did say he was running the latest version:
Quote: "I installed the first 6 model packs and sprite packs I got, and the newest update for fpscreator"

@crispex, Try installing FPSC onto the external hard drive. Sometimes games and apps don't run properly if there isn't enough room on the hard drive. I have my hard drive partitioned of so that 20 GB is for important system software and the other 380GB is for games, FPSC stuff, and the like. If I had tried to install FPSC on to my 20 GB partition, the system would have slowed down because there isn't enough room to work around. Sure, 30 GB more than covers the minimum system requirements, but you probably have other stuff installed on there, and you may be starting to run out of room. If none of this applies to your situation, then I just typed up my longest post for nothing.

Gunn3r

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline

This computer is from a friend who worked at a school, it's a Compaq Evo. I don't know what year, but it is newer.

xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 18:17
The problem is def the Intel graphics card. I'm surprised it runs as good as it does on that. Your only chance is a video upgrade if it has an AGP or PCIE slot avaiable.

Best.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 21:06
I'd definently grab an ATI or Nvidia board, that should help a lot. An Nvidia 6000 series should be fine and I bet are probably pretty cheap now. Dunno about ATI cards though...

Vote today and play the games!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 00:16
Quote: "The problem is def the Intel graphics card."

I have the same piece of crap in my computer...Intel may make good processors but they ain't never going to put Nvidia or anybody else out of business on graphics cards.As far as I know Intel graphics cards are junk.Mine is.
Maybe get a Nvidia 8800 with at least 512MB RAM or more if you can afford it.
If not (or if your wife refuses to let you have the cash to buy an 8800) an 8600 with at least 512 MB of RAM seems to work well.
One thing I have noticed is at this point if your x10 video card doesn't have at least 512 MB RAM it's not worth fooling with.

Please have mercy and use the search function.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 09:18:23
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 09:18:23