Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Ceilings of different height?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 21:16 Edited at: 27th Dec 2007 21:30
I want ceilings of different height, I want to break up a flat ceiling and create some interest.

1st image,
we are on the top floor, I have a regular segment, then for the middle segment I have it raised 5 units

2nd image,
I have jumped to the bottom floor, we can see having a floor/ceiling segment raised 5 units looks good, we can see it working on the floor and the ceiling.

3rd image,
I have walked forward, ohh no, problems, the top floor segment has disappeared, so this technique is not working.

What I did to make the segment is in the segment editor the floor is 10 units high, for the raised floor ceiling segments I just raised it 5 units, so I have 2 segments I am using, normal ones with the segment on the floor, and the second segment the floor is raised 5 units.

As can be seen it doesn't work, I also tried having the floor lowered 5 units in the segment editor so it cuts into the segment below, that had the same result.

Just how can we have ceilings of different heights? I don't want a flat ceiling, Id like to have some variety on its depth.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
Ross tra damus
3D Media Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 00:24
I don't think it is possible without getting one problem or another.

I tried something similar but got the same results as yourself.
I think it is something to do with the values in the segment 'Blueprint' and segment 'Visibility' but I have tried numerous combinations and come up with nothing that would suit your main FPS character and enemy AI.

If you figure it out I would love to know the solution.

Good luck
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 00:29 Edited at: 28th Dec 2007 00:36
You can do it by creating a variety of new segments and entities if necessary and shaping them as appropriate. If need be moving the vertical height of the ceiling/floor and adding shape detail either as part of a ceiling segment or as separate entities combining where necessary segments and entities if you have to.

There are some problems with the positioning of segments or entities at vertical heights other than very close to the defaults as you have found out. Trial and error, brains and hard work as is the case with many things FPSC will solve many problems. Some perhaps not.

The easiest way perhaps is to simply attach some entirty shapes around the edges of you ceiling or over the underneath of it partially or completely. This is better combined with a raised default ceiling height as the default height is already incorrect and too low in normal human terms. Of course you can always make some of you rooms double tile height and build a shape below that so you can have much shape depth or contours. Variety is the spice of life and your computer game....unfortunately...............

It takes some work and the results. Well they could look good of course but if such detail is added extensively to FPSC levels especially if it is complex it can add a lot of extra burden on the engine and you have to watch the polys and fps. Fill a level with it and its a lot to ask of FPSC to hold up. Not so much because of the number of polys but because of the other well known issues which cause various problems with frame rates. By and large FPSC was never designed to cope with complex shapes for objects of any variety. Basic Tiles which FPSC was designed to use after all do not normally have complex shapes.

Whether or not its all worth the effort depends upon if you can end up successfully making the game you want. I could not as I ask of FPSC what it can not do. I ask a lot and it can not give it. It does not have it to give.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say now?"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 09:14:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 09:14:52