Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / A few questions about features of FPSC:

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2007 22:49
First and foremost!

All a merry Christmas and already a perfect and fruitful 2008!!
That all your projects may see the light of day!

As a long time member of this community I have fooled around with DBP a fair bit. FPSC didn't really appeal to me before, but it has come a long way I am am curious about some features it may, or may not have.

-Are you able to make story elements in FPSC? Like talking to an NPC and generating a (text) conversation (maybe even branched)?

-Are the levels created in FPSC also importable into a DBPro project? In other words, if I buy FPSC, would I be able to use it as a level editor for my DBPro projects?

If these two 'features' are indeed possible then I am probably going to get myself a copy of FPSC as well!

Yskonyn - (Ploughing through Hands On DBP Programming Vol. 1)
"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 00:05
1. Yes.

You can use audio if you want to set up Characters to talk to you (play converstional audio). Branching I am not sure of your exact meaning. You can set up some quite complex scenarios with enough thought and work using the scripting language thats not so much of a problem, but what can be very much so is FPSC Characters can be somewhat unpredictable and erratic in their behaviours once the engine gets some pressure put on it - the instability can result in Characters going haywire not doing what they should or totally misbehaving which can ruin an otherwise well designed scenario. FPSC Characters have a habit of being very badly affected with only a few active at any one time, particualrly in complex levels where many other things influence the engine and AI entities performance. In theory you could build complex scene interactions but in reality in practice its very difficult to sustain complexity for advanced interaction between player and characters or characters and characters. To do it one really need to set up timing/triggers and paths and these are not the best in FPSC when related to characters. All kinds of glitches can interfere with the result and ruin it. Success is very difficult to achieve if not impossible. Simplicity is the key which kinda defeats the object. Conversations by their very nature are quite complex stuff.

Text conversations to screen I have never done. That may be easier to do well. I can not really comment.

2. Apparently Yes

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say now?"
Xplod oh
Years of Service
User Offline
hi i have a qestion on puting fps games on mediafire....it says it is a virus on my game and i know there isent its in one of the banks (soposable what do i do?)

~Atomic~
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 12:58
Thanks uman for the reply.
With 'branching' I mean conversations with several options like you see in some RPG's at the moment.
For example: you walk up to a character and he greets you, therefore starting the conversation and then you can choose to react in 3 different ways.
But that's probably more something to do in a DBPro created game. You will have to write in code yourself to be able to that, correct?

If you create a level in FPSC, in what format will it be exported so you can use it in your DBP project?
Do textures, lights, animated doors and platforms (like elevators) also get imported into your DBP project?

Thanks again!

"It's better to wish down here you were up, then to wish up there you were down."
TechNo VaLLey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 13:40
@Yskonyn
I am currently working on such an idea like this for my new game ..

You can make a kind of conversation in a video file and the interactive reply inside the game.

@Xplod oh
Try uploading your file in .zip password protected format

Mr. Techno
The Creator of First FPNS Game created using FPS Creator
"Letters Kingdom" - www.letterskingdom.com
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 14:24
Techno, do you mean seperate video files for each answer and play each file depending on the situation?

TechNo VaLLey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 14:53
You can either do it using two ways ... displaying text when u 're near the character on screen but of course the animation will depend on the animation list for each character ..

or in another way - which is easier - you can create a video file with text conversation and wait for the answer inside the game.

Mr. Techno
The Creator of First FPNS Game created using FPS Creator
"Letters Kingdom" - www.letterskingdom.com
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
With regards to importing FPSC levels into DBP, note that you can only import static elements, so anything dynamic (doors, enemies, healthpacks) etc.. will not work. The only stuff you can port accross is basically the segments of the game, and any static entities.

Not too sure about lightmapping though, I think it's able to be done... in fact, now I think about it, im almost certain it can be.

More info on it here - http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_37.html#6

0NTRACK
Years of Service
User Offline
You might not want to bother getting the original FPSC, as X10 has come out quite recently and offers numerous updates in the feild of graphics and AI, along with some other changes such as ragdolls and more realistic blood effects.

ALL WHO OPPOSE ME WILL BE CONSUMED BY FIREY BLACK DEATH!
I also like cookies
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 19:53
Quote: "You might not want to bother getting the original FPSC, as X10 has come out quite recently and offers numerous updates in the feild of graphics and AI, along with some other changes such as ragdolls and more realistic blood effects."

And also requires DBPro X10, which i don't think he has.

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 21:42
Well FPSC X10 only runs on Vista with DX10, right?
I will be running WinXP for a long time to come, so no X10 versions for me!
Besides, there's no DBP X10 yet, is there?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 21:57
Quote: "there's no DBP X10 yet"

Not for us normal people, but TGC have it there, they needed to,to make FPSC X10.

Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 23:55
Well the main reason I would buy FPSC would be to use it as a level editor, but I might be better off with either Cartography Shop 4 or 3D World Studio I guess...

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:37
Quote: "Well the main reason I would buy FPSC would be to use it as a level editor"

i wouldn't, FPSC is a toy, nothing more.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:43
It may just be a toy, but it's a fun toy.

@Yskonyn, you are better off getting something other than FPSC.

[url=http://gunn3rgames.zxq.net]
[/url]
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:46
Quote: "It may just be a toy, but it's a fun toy."

Amen, when your not screaming at it for lagging so much.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 02:46
well it wouldnt be effeciant as an editor, as it makes things from lots and lots of segments, so no forget it as an editor.

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivita.com/
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 12:53
As a level editor 3dws is a good option (especially for interiors but also terrain), try out the demo for 3dws as it contains all of the feautures in the full version (minus the ability to save and export). Plus, 3dws was designed to export model files into other engines (especially DBP) effectively.

FPSC is better for ease of use than power as the fps can be low, seeing as the level uses lots of individual segments (as fallen one said)

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 13:47
Quote: "For example: you walk up to a character and he greets you, therefore starting the conversation and then you can choose to react in 3 different ways."

I have only worked with audio conversation with characters and one has to find a method of activating the conversation or more than one, when and where they need to be carried out. I use proximity but there are I guess other ways to do it and I only use set orders of conversation as required by the scene or scenario.

Choice or random conversations I have not tried.

"There are those who said this day would never come - What have they to say now?"
Yskonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 14:57
Thanks for all the input people. Really appreciated, but I think I'll pass on FPSC for now. See if it gets any better in future.
For now I'll be forced to do it the hard way: DBPro!
Still ploughing through the Hands-On volumes, but getting there step by step.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 09:14:59
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 09:14:59