Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Game difficulty options. How to....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 20:07
Some time ago I played one of the Quake series, (I don't know which it was) and I remember that you started in a hall. There were three ways to proceed in front of you, and each way was a different difficulty. Left was easy, center was medium and right was hard. This got me thinking about ways to make difficulty options in my games. While we cannot yet select different game levels with zones, there are some things which we can control. Those that I can think of immediately are: health, weapons and ammo, ambience, and enemy spawning.

Now granted we can't make three levels in one level space, as that would not only severely restrict the size of each, but would be a terrible waist of space and a frame rate killer to boot, so we would need to make the initial paths join up once again in short order. While the paths were separate however, they could control the players starting health and weapons, as well as things like ambience, fog, number of enemies spawned in the initial zone, and so on. These initial setting could contribute to and somewhat set the difficulty of the rest (main portion) of the level.

These are some of the options that I could think of. What else is available to us and under our control? What are your thought on this and how it can be used/enhanced?

Best.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 20:17
You could build the same set of levels 3 times (Once for each difficulty) and in each build increase the AI's health, decrease the players health, remove some ammo, etc. It's tedious, but with something like Multimap you could put all of them together into one game. That's how I was thinking about doing it for my game.

[url=http://gunn3rgames.zxq.net]
[/url]
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2007 20:19
Good Theory, My difficulty theory revolved around a build game function that increases all entity strength 25% for hard and decreases 25% for easy, staying as it is for normal.

MBG Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 00:49
nice theory.

P.S. the game you are talking about is quake 1

turn around, im right behind you
Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 01:09
Hmm yeah interesting indeed...

I guess it would be possible, dont know ingame..but with a 3rd party program almost anything is possible.

But that would require several executables.

Which is pretty sloppy since the player can just do a search and select one of those executables..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 09:19:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 09:19:52