Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Image Width and Height command equivalent in DGK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 17:27
I am currently in the middle of trying to port a 3D World Studio file Loader for GDK using a combination of LIT’s DBPro loader and tireswing’s Irrlicht loader and I have come across two undocumented commands:

int Image Width(int imageNum)
int Image Height(int imageNum)

in the DBPro code. Does anyone know of a direct equivalent command in GDK?

[This is not the first time I have encountered undocumented commands in DBPro which I am starting to find really annoying for a product that calls itself "PROFESSIONAL". Especially seeing that people in the forums have been pointing these out for years and still the documentation has never been updated - excuse the mini rant]

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 18:27
hmmm .. seem to have answered my own question. A quick look at the darkSDKImage.h header file reveals the following commands:

dbGetImageWidth and dbGetImageHeight

neither of which appear in the DarkGDK help file.

Wonder when they’re releasing the 'Crystal Ball' plug-in to enable us to foresee the missing commands

Would suggest any one serious about programming in GDK checks the header files out as there seem to be a hell of a lot more commands in there than are revealed in the official help file!!!

Cellbloc Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 19:16
I'm still not over the fact they leave things like "dbChr$" in there.

Really, how hard could it possibly be to hire someone for 1 day to try each command listed in the help document? I didn't say "create examples", just to type in the name and see if it compiles.

Your mod has been erased by a signature
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 21:56 Edited at: 29th Dec 2007 21:57
Yeah, good point Cellbloc. I must admit, I'd never even noticed the inclusion of the dbChr$ command!

I'm not setting out to knock TGC, most of us in here like the product or we wouldn't be here. But many of us struggle at times to achieve things and push the boundaries and I really think that we as customers are sold short by inadequate documentation. It really shouldn't take too much resource to address this, but despite this being raised by others in the past I have yet to see anyone from TGC stand up and address this.

A fully documented command set is the absolute bare minimum that any programmer should expect, and to be honest, there is a lot more information they could provide which would give us more insight into mechanisms deployed beneath the commands.

Comp Guru 910
Years of Service
User Offline
Off topic, kinda, but they need a dark GDK book, lol

typos...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 04:06
I've learned 1: Always look in DarkBasic Help First... See if what you want is there....

Then try typing it in C++ IDE...any Luck?

No? Then Look in DarkGDK.h...any of the header files in the DarkGDK folder....

After that? ... I personally cry, make tea, grab a book... Sit and wonder why life is so cruel ... <evil Grin>

...Seriously...that's about when I jump into my Web Browser and type a phrase I know in my sleep... www.thegamecreators.com... wait a sec, lower left... Click ENTER FORUMS and hope for the best!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 07:34:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 07:34:36