Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / EXE game on other computers?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've been wantin to shou off my game too my friends and i dont know what else gous in the folder with the exe? (dll...) something like that..?

fency federejshn
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 22:46
As I have never needed to do this yet I can't give you any first hand advice but would recommend looking for something like 'deploying your VC++ 2008 applications ' on the Microsoft site.

I'm assuming you will need to deploy a series of distributables (C++ runtime etc) along with the executable and it is probably not trivial! For example, may require items registering in the Windows Registry.

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 23:37
Quote: "For example, may require items registering in the Windows Registry."

Definitely not necessary! Registry settings is a bad habit from from Win9x and are fading out with .NET applications. But that's a different topic... Regarding deploying your application, you need two things to be installed on target machine:

1) MS Visual C++ Runtime
2) DirectX Runtime (August 2007)

Both runtimes can be downloaded and installed from Microsoft download section, or you can deploy them along with your game. The DirectX runtime must be installed (you must distribute it only using their setup program), but the MSVC runtime can be freely distributed as a .dll along with your application without breaking any license.

GDK is being linked statically, so it is automatically linked into your executable during build. Of course, if you use other 3rd party libraries (like Newton Dynamics, FMOD or whatever), you have to add those to your package/installer.
Fency Federejshn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx tempicek, but does this MSVC runtime have just 1 DLL?

could you tell me the name of this DLL? Google confuses me

fency federejshn
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 03:15
@tempicek - If Registry is offlimits, .Net application.Config is in the program file's directory, but that is (with vista) not a place you can write data... where do you put your config info?

tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 20:35
Quote: "where do you put your config info?"

Per-user config should be always kept in "My Documents" folder (whatever folder it actually is). Global config can raise a question, I prefer local text file in application's folder and it haven't failed me yet (on Win2k/XP/2003 server based platforms), but Vista can change this (?). Have to check it out soon...
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 20:37
Quote: "could you tell me the name of this DLL?"

MSVCM*.DLL
MSVCP*.DLL
MSVCR*.DLL

* denotes number defined by your version of Visual Studio. You can find all these files in "Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC90.CRT" folder.
Uber Ker Noober
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 00:46
If you are compiling with the full version of Visual Studio do you still need to distribute the runtimes?

I have Visual Studio 2008 Pro (legit before you ask)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:22:37
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:22:37