Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Spanish - English game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Just created a simple game targeting teachers with Spanish speaking students (ages 4 to 6) who need to learn some simple English vocabulary (part of my dictionary project = www.websters-online-dictionary.org ).

File Name: Webster's Spanish-English 3D Dinosaur Adventure.exe
File Size: 143 MB
Download Link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ty6oml

The link should work for a few days. Any feedback welcome. If you spot a bug, please let me know the OS you are using (it does not work in Vista for some reason).
Thanks
Phil
p.s. I used 3d gamemaker (simple, but kids seem to like it).
Seboolek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 10:28
Big file.. hmmm.. please, show screen.
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
I have posted a couple of youtubes. The first is in "SLOW MOTION" as the capture software could not keep up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqn2A6O6JE0

Here is a youtube of a prologue segment for a similar game (featuring the hero = a tomato named websters).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHtNxaNPbQg

Comments welcome.

Phil
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 04:56 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 04:58
well i watched the first video and am currently downloading this monster. 50-55 kb/s really isn't acceptable for such a file, is it? and, i'm assuming it's all in the media since the 3-d modelling looked pretty good in the video.

will add comments once i play with the program. just please don't tell me it's 143 mb 5-minute test/demo version... heh.

i will say that i'm a little surprised this is used in a schooling situation, as implied. i'd assumed fire and monsters and general first/third person "killing"/mayhem/destruction was a general no-no for schools (esp. with age range 4-6). <shrugs> anyway. currently at 23% download, so... more later.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Virtual Nomad,
Yeap, it is for kids. It is ok to kill dinosaurs and other extinct animals, just not people-like characters.
Phil
p.s. it is the full game, not a demo, though it still has some rough spots -- so we will be revising it for SFX, etc.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 06:46 Edited at: 31st Dec 2007 06:55
ok, i'm back. played the first 3 levels and was impressed.

first, as far as the violence factor, you've really kept it pretty tame. i expected some blood, etc, but i'd call it "safe enough" afterall.

regarding the play itself:

1) i don't know if a child (4-6 yo) can muster the strength to mash the ctrl key as much as you have to. i'd like to be able to hold it down and repeat fire. minor complaint, just throwing the option out there. and, i was pretty much racing through the levels and expect a kid would go at a bit slower pace.

2) i suspect the collision is completely controlled with the game-maker? and, the AI? i just hate being attacked through walls, etc, by monsters i can't even see. seeing the monsters poking through walls, etc, is a bit of a turn-off for me as well.

re: design.

i would reconsider some of the design aspects. namely, lining up 2 (sometimes 3?) "items" in a row (with 1 (potentially) directly in front of the other). if you fire and destroy the "breakable" item (which is the furthest one) while passing through the "walk through" items, you can activate the ghosted animation sequences simultaneously and/or they are played in what could be perceived as in "reverse order". i know that's not always going to be possible if you want to have more than one "item" in the same direct area, but they could be placed more strategically with this in mind.

there was a spot where the camera was behind a wall. again, i expect this is being controlled by the game-maker, but it could be taken into consideration and minimalized when you design the levels. (the area was a "closet" situation. small 3-walled dead-end, if i remember correctly)

i experienced one "clipping" issue, i guess you call it. where you look in 1 direction and the area that was there a second ago disappears/is replaced by blackness/nothing. (see screenshot)

i don't know anything about the software you used for this and how much you can tweak it to "fix" some of the small things i've mentioned here. i will say that something like this could be re-produced in, say, Dark Basic Pro, and have the (slight) issues ironed out. i won't say "simply", because even the intermediate 3d games like this takes plenty of work. but you're doing nothing "fantastic" here/what would be considered seriously "advanced". just something to consider for the sequel

but, don't get me wrong. there's definite "quality" here. especially in the media. it's obvious that a lot of work went into this game. which reminds me... back to the "design" issue where the ghosted animations play on top of eachother/are obscured by something, etc. i feel the quality animations being played aren't given the attention they deserve here. i would rather have the game PAUSE when they are played (and the camera placed to ensure i can SEE the animation, which is an issue, at times), and for them to last a little longer. same for the spoken parts, too. some words were read (the sounds played) while i was passing through a second "item". well, you get it... can be confusing.

btw, 1/2 a gig install? ouch. could some media optimization be done?

overall, it's good stuff. please don't take anything i've said as "negative" (except the 1/2 gig install. hehe). my aim is to offer some thoughts that could elevate it further. constructive criticisms.

thanks for sharing!

edit:

Quote: "
It is ok to kill dinosaurs and other extinct animals"

dinosaurs and dragons are extinct? since when! j/k

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2007 12:29
this looks really good for a 3d game maker game. you have done well to get the little animations after you destroy a block and the custom texturing on some objects. well, done.

thanks to deathead for the sig! please Click on it!
Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Virtual Nomad,
Thanks for the thorough review & comments. We will be working on the object spacing to prevent some of the things you mentioned, like enemies popping through barriers, etc. There are limitations to the platform used to create this, so we have many constraints that cannot be solved, like key assignments, etc. (1990s engine/platform, but kids seem not to care too much) -- thanks again for the great feedback. We will work on the clipping issue (hadn't seen that before). Many thanks!

blobby 101,
Thanks for the encouraging words!

Phil
n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 21:10
My god someone actually made a decent game w/ T3DGM! You gets a cookie, me fwend!

AlanC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2008 22:46
Quote: "My god someone actually made a decent game w/ T3DGM! You gets a cookie, me fwend!"

You can make a fairly decent game with T3DGM. But it dosn't make games for anybody over 10 I'd say.

Drudkh
Years of Service
User Offline
Noo8, AlanC,
Thanks. Yes, we are using T3DGM for ages 10 and under (the advantage being simplicity). We may end up starting projects with FPSC or similiar, perhaps, for the older segments (TBD); the advantage being complexity.
Phil

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 09:11:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 09:11:58