Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Screensavers with GDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 01:21
I made a screensaver with GDK just to get use to the new syntax and watev. My question is, how do I make Windows Vista use my screensaver? I searched the forums and found some people with the same question but the resolutions didn't work for me. I tried changing the extension from .exe to .scr but windows still wont load it up. Also, I put it in the system32 directory. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mason

Aaron Miller
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: osu!
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 01:55
I haven't attempted making a screensaver for windows vista yet, however you must abide by the rules of screensavers in general, and parse the command line for anything Windows Vista might have passed to your screensaver. You should be able to find some information at Microsoft's forums or google.

Cheers,

-naota

With any luck you'll be able to turn a fully functioning program to a crashing program with just a little bit of coding.
Aex.Uni forums
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 00:32
I looked many times but I couldn't find out exactly what i'm looking for. Are you able to help me?

John Goewert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 00:56
The best resource that makes it clear is http://www.wischik.com/scr/. It lists the arguments and how to handle situations like multi-monitor setups and such.

Other than that, graphically, it is the same as any other program.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:09
I thought a SCR file had a special entry point... Like instead on winMain - had a Screen Saver Entry... is this true? I think there is some initial stuff that needs to be done to make a true OS started Screen Saver - and as such, you might not be able to do it with DarkGDK because of the Whole "DarkGDK owns the WinMain" fact.

You MIGHT be able to make a SCREEN SAVER STUB - that Launches DarkGDK, but you'd have to make the STUB smart enough to Shut DarkGDK app down when the OS requests it - so that Your screen svaer is well behaved.

John Goewert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:30
Nope, jason, no special entry point. WinMain is eactly the way to start. I'm still on the 24 hour lag for posting messages, but my post above yours has the info.

Just some normal command line switches. Nothing more magic than that.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:39
(Got a response in email - here is my response...it might show below mine) Um... John said just some command line switches - not a fancy entry point like I suggested... so I've been corrected - (I wasn't sure) that's why I like these forums - you get the facts...if not right away - usually REAL soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:29:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:29:11