Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 2D Ghost Aura Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've got some 2D animation working just fine now and many thanx to those who provided advice to me on setting up the sprite sheet properly. I was wrong about needing same across as down, as you all said, just a few pixels out ruins it and that was the problem.

My question is this... I render to a blue or pink background which I then make transparent but my 2D/3D models always keep a few pixels of blue or pink "aura" around them even when the rest of the background does go transparent. This totally ruins the animation of course. Is there an easy fix for this? Such as a graphics program I can run them through first to get rid of the aura?

Otherwise I have to take them into MS Paint or Corel and zoom them up so I can edit the sprite edges pixel by pixel to get a clean sharp edge. This takes about a zillion years over a whole sprite sheet.
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 04:58 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2008 05:54
It sounds like at some point you saved the sprite sheet as a JPG which would introduce artifacts like those mentioned.

A screenshot would be helpful.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 05:49
Hey Mongoose,

I've run into this before. I'd just about bet money that the problem is anti-aliasing (AA). Check the application you're rendering with to see if you can disable AA.

If that doesn't work and you're copying your rendered images into an art program such as PaintShop then I'd recommend ditching the "high-end" art application for MSPaint (just for this instance). You can probably turn off AA in the art application. However, MSPaint doesn't have AA that I know of so it might be your easiest choice.

Hope this helps,

-Frank
m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanx guys, hmmm just looking into this anti-aliasing thing at the moment because yeah it happen before it hits the graphics program so it must be in the rendering. For example if I do a screen capture of the rendered image (or render to file) then open it as a *.bmp in MS Paint then use the bucket tool to change the background colour then it leaves the aura around the sprite.

And Benjamin is right too because I originally saved as *.png format for my sprites and the aura was twice as bad and graphic quality was crap. I've tried *.jpg and *.bmp and as an aside I was very impressed that DARK GDK loaded and ran a huge 5 megabyte *.bmp sprite sheet on 500Kb of RAM.

I think Frank is right, it's the way my sprites are rendered. If I can't fix it I'll include some attached screenshots in my next post. Thnx.

-m0ng00se
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2008 07:25
I just had a thought. This might be WAY off but maybe it's your video card doing the anti-aliasing and not the application. I can turn AA off on and on with my card (nVidia 6150Go). If you can't figure out how to turn off AA in your rendering app, maybe try to disable it at the video card level?

Dunno if that'll work, but figured it couldn't hurt to mention it.

-Frank
m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Thnx I'll have a bit of a fiddle around with that.

BTW that was a misprint above... I meant 500 mb of RAM which sounds a lot but most animators I know run 2 gigs minimum of RAM these days. In the old days of MSDOS we wrote 2D platform games in 2 MB RAM lol.

-m0ng00se
m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay I tried turning off anti-aliasing everwhere (which I found) and I tried different file formats such as *.bmp. *.jpg, *.gif etc and I tried different resolutions such as 24 bit bitmap versus 16 colour etc and I tried every render setting in my programs but I'm STILL getting the same problem no matter what I do.

I've attached a file that clearly demonstrates the problem. It was a 2 mb bitmap but I made it a jpeg to upload it faster. Most of my sprites can only be rendered in the program they belong to because the texture maps don't import/export cleanly. Also I don't have another computer to test a different video card.

-m0ng00se

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 05:50
What program are you using to do it? Maybe if I knew the tools you were using I could be more help. Also, have you tried just using printscreen to snap a screenshot of the model within your rendering app? I still say it looks like the rendering app is anti-aliasing the output which it shouldn't unless you specify it (that's just my opinion).

Also, this isn't specifically a GDK question. It doesn't bother me one way or another, but you'd probably get more help over in the 3D forum. Maybe a mod could move the thread there so some of the 3D experts could provide some insight.

Hope this helps,
-Frank
skull driveshaft
Years of Service
User Offline
you ever tried just capturing the screen?

and pasting that into mspaint?

you know, ALT-Print Screen, to grab just the application window

why doesn't it work the way I want it to!
m0ng00se
Years of Service
User Offline
When I first started doing all this I liked watching the rendering so much (okay so I'm sick) that I didn't render anything to file and did every single sprite as a screen capture (printscreen) then pasted it into Paint and that was when I first noticed the problem actually.

I agree it sounds like anti-aliasing and I did look it up on the net and did turn it off in DAZ3D which I've been rendering with lately but it hasn't made a difference. Also if it was anti-aliasing I'd expect that "aura" to be a slightly different colour and blended into the object but it isn't. If you download the files I uploaded and take them into your own graphics program you'll see what I mean.

I'd be suprised if you can simply "bucket" out that invisible shield even though there's no reason I can see why there should be any sort of a shield there. It's got me beat. I've given up on it for now because I've got the user interface to sort out at the moment then I'll get back to that problem.

Unless somebody comes up with the answer in the meantime. You're right though, it's not a DARK GDK issue and I'm in the wrong forum... off topic... sorry.

-m0ng00se
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 11:01 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 11:06
Hey Mongoose,

I tried something the other day and had a similar side-effect. I wanted to make a dual-layered "starry night" sky sphere. I randomly placed dots all over a section of the screen, grabbed the image and textured my skyspheres.

The inner sky sphere needed to be transparent so I called dbSetObjectTransparency(objNum, 1) and BAM! I've got a halo around every star on the inner sky sphere. Changing the flag from 1 to 2 fixed it. I was just calling dbDot() to make my "stars" so there definitely shouldn't have been any anti-aliasing.

I didn't test any further, but I was looking at that and remembered your problem. I don't know if it'll help you or not, but maybe it's related.

Anyway, hope this helps!

-Frank

[edit]
Here's the code if you wanna check it out. I don't know if it'll give you any insight into your problem, but just in case... To see the halo effect change the very last line.

[/edit]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:23:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:23:20