Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / hero battles v1.0 done

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 22:56 Edited at: 5th Feb 2008 07:54
you can download here : (see recent post below)
screenies , online manual(not quite completed)
here :
www.geocities.com/suttersoft/hbmanual.html

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2008 23:03
Before we download it, We might want to look at the screenshots. So we can say we like it while we are downloading it.

No seriously, we appreciate screenshots.

Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 01:57
@princeofDarkness

I have edited my post above to include some of the screenies of the game and the manual

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 04:49
I played the game, and I found it to be interesting.

I do have some critiques though -

The method of turn based combat you've chosen feels awkward. Clicking the directional and rotation buttons was clumsy, a more intuitive system is needed, like a waypoint system that uses the mouse.

It took me a long time to figure out how to fight, right mouse button didn't occur to me, I was just frustrated I was getting bitten by all the snakes and eventually found it.

After a while of getting beat up it suddenly told me 'Victory'. I didn't feel like the victory message was for me, but it was impossible to tell what was going on at that point.

Interesting idea, needs a little work.

Come see the WIP!
Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 05:25 Edited at: 5th Jan 2008 05:30
why thank you for your input . perhaps if you had read the online manual you would have had a better playing experience. The victory message appears after 6 rounds in the demo.

Quote: "Interesting idea, needs a little work."

its done except for a few graphical touch ups and updating the maximun characters allowed in the custom setup.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 19:00
it's good, needs a bit of work here and there though.
are you allowed to use 3D game maker models out side of the 3d game maker? or is this a 3dGM game? if so very well done.

thanks to deathead for the sig! please Click on it!
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2008 22:22
You are NOT allowed to use the T3DGM models outside T3DGM applications, and this is no T3DGM game at all.

Anyway, Intresting. Little confusing, but intresting non the less.

Oh, and why making a demo of it? Isn't it better to just make the whole game available?(It isn't getting sold so I see no point in a Demo)

Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 02:17 Edited at: 6th Jan 2008 02:20
@ prince & blobby 101 - according to the license, you are so long as the models are included in the exe. addtionally , there was a thread on the old forums (before it became tgc ) where some asked if this was ok, and one of the guys from what is now tgc gave direct consent for this. otherwise, I wouldn't have wasted my time doing this. Since the models are included in the exe, I see no problem here.
@ blobby 101
no I programmed it in dbc. the code size is around 480kb or so just incase your wondering how long it took.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 05:23 Edited at: 6th Jan 2008 05:23
i dl'd and tried to run the game. after picking my team, it went to loading and otherwise initializing. i was then hit with the following:

not good. heh. i guess it's due to not meeting cpu requirements? never saw that message before; it sounds terrible! ah, well...

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 12:06
Meaning their in the .exe doesn't mean I can't get them out you know

Anyway, I never seen that part of the lisence, Better dive back into it...

Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 15:43
@Virtual Nomad
Quote: "i guess it's due to not meeting cpu requirements?"

correct. This error usually occurs on systems with AMD processors that have graphics cards with 64meg or less. I have managed to get it work on a system that has an intell processor and a 64meg video card but due to the graphics memory some of the objects weren't showing correctly. The lowest reported video card/ram that it will run on so far is 128mb and 256 meg ram.

@ prince
The original liscence is here :

although it was previously posted somewhere on the old forums, perhaps a member of tgc will see fit to repost here granting permission to use to media(models , bitmaps ect) in dbc/db-pro projects for the sake of clarification

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 16:27
Doesnt this mean that you may only distribute the media as part of applications created by the T3DGM application?

Or did I just misread it?

Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 18:51
well they gave permissioin on the former board - I'll see if I cant get one of the team to post a response here just to make sure - (otherwise , I'll have to change the models and such )

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 03:40
I doubt anybody cares or will make a fuss about it.

Come see the WIP!
billb
Years of Service
User Offline
i had fun but i agree the turn based system was awkward. maybe a top down view? also, make sure it's clear how to attack! it took me forever to figure out. and why just a demo?
Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2008 05:09
@billb
Quote: "and why just a demo"

because I intend to sale the nondemo -
it will be exactly as the demo except with unlimited rounds.

billb
Years of Service
User Offline
well obviously it will be sold but do you think it will be successful competing against the next-gen games coming out right now? think of your competition. i was just implying maybe just release it to the community because even really good games haven't sold here.

but i don't want to be a hater so I'll leave with this note. i did enjoy the game and would enjoy to play the full game, but i am just an average gamer and i would not pay for it. but good luck!
Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 18:32
Quote: "do you think it will be successful competing against the next-gen games coming out right now? "

it is possible. I recall plenty a few games where the graphics weren't state of the art next gen that were very successful. in fact they were well below the standard when compared to other games released at that time. but due to the genre of the game the game-play and strategy itself was awsome enough that the games didn't require massive elegent graphics.
Quote: "really good games haven't sold here"

people that make motors for cars dont try and sale their motors to other motor companies, but to those where there would be demand.
so when I put on here that I have a new game, the purpose is to get input from other programmers/users to see how I can improve it. Every comment is taken into consideration regardless of how good or bad it appears to sound. And I do thank each and every person who downloads it and posts comments (good or bad) for investing their time.

Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 12:06
Does anyone else have suggestions for the next version ?

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 12:52
yeah, make it so i can play it. :/

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2008 10:11 Edited at: 18th Jan 2008 13:15
@Virtual Nomad
---edited ------
hold press - Thanks to your querry , I discovered a bug that crashes the system in the custom setup menu when taking more than 89 characters. I will reupload a new version shortly. I suggest downloading the new version and using the custom setup and taking only a couple characters. If this does not resolve the issue then your onboard card doesn't have enough memory. I have noted that systems with AMD processors for some reason require 64-128 more mb on the graphics cards than systems with intell processors(see my post above) as I was able to run the program on a system that had an intell and only a 64mb card.
--download new version above---

Bluestar4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2008 08:00
Version 1.3 is done and is available for download here :
www.hotlinkfiles.com/files/947516_dptcn/hbDEMO.zip

additionallly,it should now run on 64mb cards (virtual , you should cheer a little ) and if you take a custom setup with minimal characters it wont require much memory either.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 22:13:50
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 22:13:50