Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK DOESENT have a pixel perfect collision!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
this is very dumb, as far as I've looked in the documentation and tested it in the code there is no such thing as pixel perfect collision, which is rely stupid because it is a basic thing that a 2D engine should have... are there any plans to include it in the future versions of DGDK because it is a MUST...

fency federejshn
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 02:51
@WindowsKiller

Hmmm ... and there was me thinking DGDK was software

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Pixel Perfect.

http://3dfolio.com
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 12:09
Yes I was joking! But also pointing out that there is no reason at all why DGK couldn't have Pixel Perfect Collision routines embedded in it. You're post made it sound like this was to do with Hardware where at the end of the day its simply a decision made by TGC as to where they draw the line in terms of providing useful functionality.

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 17:58
Quote: "and the few 2D games rarely *need* pixel-perfect collision"

I would agree with Pixel Perfect and Fency here - pixel-perfect collision is a necessary functionality in every 2D engine. And while the sprite collision function IS there, it is almost useless since sprites in game are rarely rectangles...

It's true that pure 2d games are pretty out-dated and collisions are computed on 3d objects nowdays. Although GDK still contains wizard for a 2D game and it is not so rare in indie sector...
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2008 20:07
Quote: "That's kind of a lazy programmer's argument. You can write a pixel-perfect collision routine yourself, so where's the problem?"

Nowhere. We can write our graphics engine ourself (which we actually do). I'm just adding my opinion, that missing this functionality in 2d engine is a real flaw, to oppose your statement:

Quote: "Of course it doesn't. Sprites are rendered usind 3D hardware acceleration, and it can only test if 3D objects collide."

which Pixel Perfect already commented. It sounds like "of course this math library doesn't support matrices, because that would need structures and they don't use them!"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 07:44:46
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 07:44:46