Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / atmosphere on n object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi

I have create a directx bottom and a ball. Now i would that the ball roll over the bottom.I brought a atmosphere.

have anybody a idea?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 00:37
You need to supply MUCH more detail than this haphazardly structured query. Surely you can give more detail, a picture or something.

I was perusing to lend a hand or thought - read this and - well - I have no idea where to start... until next time...

theplake
Years of Service
User Offline
okay

I have a box.In this box should be a ball.When the box have
Inclination the ball should roll.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 11:30
Hey Theplake,

I know it might seem like a simple thing to do, it isn't. Things like that are usually done using a physics plugin. Currently TGC is working on getting Dark Physics ported over to DGDK, but it will take them some time. Keep an eye on the newsletter for updates.

To do it without a physics plugin would take a great deal of math if you wanted realism. At a minimum you need to be able to calculate the angle of inclination for the bottom of the box (how much and which direction it's tilted). Without that, you don't know which way the ball should roll.

I don't know how familiar you are with matrix and vector mathematics, but that is what you'll need to use. I majored in Math and Computer Science in college and sometimes I still struggle with the more complicated math involved in 3D graphics. Rolling a ball around inside a box isn't something I'd try without a lot of preparation.

Quote: "I brought a atmosphere."

Also, I don't know what you mean by "atmosphere" on the ball. Are you talking about the texture on it? I think that's part of what Jason couldn't understand as well.

I hope this helps,

-Frank
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 13:55
Good Points Pharoseer. Also, if you don't want to wait for DarkPhysics, there are other Physics Engines you can get started with now. Ageia PhysX API directly (What DarkPhysics is Built on - allows people to buy Physics Computer Cards to speed up the physics if they wish) Then there is Newton and ODE. There are Others - personally - I'm VERY inteerested in ODE, PhysX(Ageia) and DarkPhysics.

ODE I've seen many games use with better results than I've ever seen with Rasputin's Newton

Also - there is a Plugin called EZ Rotate which doesn't do physics but helps with the KIND of rotations you'd need for a ball if you elected to make your own "Gravity" etc.

theplake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 14:34 Edited at: 7th Jan 2008 14:55
Big Thx!

DarkPhysics or EZ-Rotate is exactly what i brought but is it for BASIC

Then i must wait it comes for c++.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2008 22:30
@Jason,

Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten about EZ-Rotate and I hadn't even thought about alternatives to Dark Physics. I haven't reached that point in my development yet.

@Theplake,

You're welcome. Also, EZ-Rotate is now available for DGDK. Check the stickies at the top of the DGDK forum.

-Frank
theplake
Years of Service
User Offline
thx but Dark physics is more of what I need
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 17:42
@theplake - From your description - I would agree,

@Pharoseer - EZ Rotate (though I haven't used it myself) Seems to help with things like a ball rolling withou physics - in that the ball can move one way while the object is facing anyway... I think that's one way it can help. Also I THINK it does Eular to Quadreion or whatever 3d coodinate systems etc....

I don't much about it obviously but I try to do without such extras where I can help it and stay within the game engines stuff - though for Terrain and Physics - I think its a necessity to go outside the box a bit.... though I might get frustrated enough with terrain to revert to Stock Advanced Terrain and be done with it - who knows!

(Probably not though - I like my USGS Data sources and stuff - thanx to Visigoth on that)

theplake
Years of Service
User Offline
Ode Physics works with Darkgdk?
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 15:28
It works with anything, there's no dependency, but you must perform the integration.
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 15:59
I spent a bit of time a while back getting the DBPro ODE plug-in commands up and running in DGDK. The final result was a set of release and debug libraries which I released on the following thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=114688&b=22

Download the second release if your planning on trying it!

It suffers from some inherent bugs which were present in the plug-in and not everything seems to have been properly implemented but if all you want is a simple physics engine to play around with then it works reasonably well and appears to be stable. I didn’t have time to start re-designing it and bug fixing over and above just getting it running in GDK.

I integrated it into my game engine and have been using it for some time to get me by until they release DarkPhysics for GDK.

I have not provided documentation other than installation and configuration notes but there are examples of the plug-in use on the forum. Look at the library header file for the available functions etc.

Otherwise, download the ODE source code or precompiled libraries (available on the net) and integrate them into your project as Tempicek suggested. But your dealing with the raw interface with this option, the plug-in code encapsulates it to some degree and presents a higher level interface to the user!

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2008 16:20
Kudos for the conversion - I personally (hopefully) will have a chance to take a stab at the ODE lib directly - and if I don't make much progress I'll at least have some hands on anyways.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:21:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:21:06