Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Anybody interested in simple examples with very detailed explanations?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 07:27 Edited at: 8th Jan 2008 23:17
Ok gang,

I started this but I wanted to get some feedback before I went any further. My goal was to eventually work through all of the Dark GDK commands using simple programs that are excessively commented like what I've included here. The aim would be to provide a very clear understanding of the functions to newcomers as well as point out some of the common pitfalls.

I'm not an expert on Dark GDK but this seems like something that might help the community. It's a ton of work though so I want to make sure there is ample interest before I dig too far. The following is the first program and is an example of the excessive commenting style I would be using. Also, if anyone else is interested in helping with this I'd appreciate it.

-Frank

These are the specifice Dark GDK commands used. Some of these commands have multiple methods of being called but only the methods below were used in this example:

And here is the code example:

[edit]
I have a habit of checking my posts after submitting to proofread them. Anyway, I noticed that the code example was pretty much unreadable without the syntax coloring in Visual Studio. Would it be a good idea to have versions with and without the comments?
[/edit]
tempicek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 10:08
Sounds as a good idea. Though I would strongly suggest to join this with the official documentation anyhow (I hope GDK devs would welcome it as the documentation is often too brief). In-place examples would definitely improve it a lot.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 17:24
WE ALL LIKE the idea. And like TempIceK says - it would be great if these were part of the official docs.

I Agree Writing Documentation STINKS! I'm Sure TGC has plenty to do other than SLAVE over a bunch of manuals AFTER the code has been written etc. and New projects are getting started.

A Quandry for us sometimes - and its not like TGC didn't write documentation - its just spotty.

Perhaps - the community and TGC work together in a way that isn't to labor intensive and treat it like a Source Control System.... But easier:

Each "Available" (not COMPLETED and Finalized) Command Gets "Checked Out" by a members - limit to how many at a time per member - and they have a time limit to get it "Checked In" - Then Each Entry gets reviewed voluntarily by other forum members. 3 "Approvals" and its "Committed" to the End Result HELP.

This way...I could for example - be needing documentation for dbVertexDataPositionX(), and find out its "Not Done" in the help and not checked out. I Figure out the command myself, "Check It Out" - write a blurb about it, make a code snippet that shows how it works...I submit the info. People could then vote on it like the Photo Gallery Images - when it has been "Rated" to say a 3star rating - it becomes in Stone.

What ya think Pharoseer? What ya think TGC?

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 17:51
Just saw you're Edit Pharoseer - Comments with /* <------In C++ is bad cuz you can't comment blocks of code out - plus the ASTERIKS are to in your face.....

I use a style like this myself.

Sparky Coldfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice job Pharoseer. That stuff comes in very handy. Jason, your "Check-out" suggestion sounds like a great idea for a wiki.
Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 23:01 Edited at: 8th Jan 2008 23:14
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't want to presume that TGC would even WANT my help in doing anything official, but I like the idea.

My thoughts on the check-in system are that you would need to employ a coding and commenting standard throughout all the examples. Anybody could submit an example, but if it didn't fit the standard it would be rejected until it fit within the formatting guidelines.

I know most people don't like being told how to code or how their code should look, but with any collaboration a consistent style makes it easier for everyone.

@Jason,

I like your commenting style a lot more than what I used in the above example. You're right that the asterisks are too "in your face." They dominate the page and you barely notice the actual code. I'll revise it so we can all see how it looks.

-Frank

[edit]
Just finished revising the code. I think it's more readable using Jason's commenting style. Anyone else have any opinions on how to improve the examples?
[/edit]
John Goewert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2008 01:56
Having been friends with Frank since college, he pulled me in to using DGDK and I'm ready to help.

I used to write tutorials for Irrlicht (my nick there was saigumi), but stopped using it a few years ago due to other projects. Dark GDK has been a breeze to learn, but the documentation is definitely lacking and has quite a few bits of oddity in it as well as quite a few assumptions.
DevKartik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 05:42
A nice start by Pharoseer.

It will help complete beginners like me to get into game creation.
Just joined the forum today and got into touch of TGC and downloaded DarkGDK a week ago.

--
DevKartik

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:15:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:15:44