Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / new to darkGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
ok I guess I probably should start at the begging I have been a 3d modeler for around 3 years. I want to be a full fledge game designer so I pick up Dark basic and have been playing around with various tutorials and such for around 6 months. recently I have heard a lot about darkGDK and it's integration with dark basic and windows virtual c. So my question to you all is it really compatible with both languages. so will the codes written for darkbasic work with visual studio.

2) will shaders that work with darkbasic work for visual studio

3) and lastly I read that visual studio allows you to port your own creations to the x-box 360 so does that mean you will be able to port your creations to the x-box 360.

wind
John Goewert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 21:26
1. Most of the underlying "Dark" is similar between the Dark Basic and Dark GDK implementations from what I have seen thus far. The GDK is basically the C++ implementation of Dark Basic, close cousins. Code written for Dark Basic will not work with Dark GDK.

2. I haven't messed with shaders much. From what I know, the function calls and setup are just the same,though.

3. Nope. Basically, the portability to the Xbox 360 is thanks to the XNA framework. Visual Studio itself is just the compiler/IDE for the development and like any C++ compiler, it "can" make applications for any environment but library usage and compilation settings are wildly different. It would be on par with trying to jam a Nintendo Cartridge in a Genesis. Both have game code on them, but only one is made in a way that the system can handle.

Using DGDK since 01/01/2008
Blah - http://www.john.goewert.org
wind27382
Years of Service
User Offline
ok thanks for clearing that up first I have been reading up on a few things and yes I know that porting your game to the x-box is thanks to the xna framework. but I thought that visual studios was the language that was recired for it.

and I kind of fiquired that code written for darkDGK would not compile. it's just that after looking at some sample codes they seem almost identical.

wind

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 09:18:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 09:18:27