Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Problem with 3D Level

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2008 20:23
To begin with, I am relatively new to C++ and entirely new to Visual Studio C++.

However, after going through the first tutorial on the 2D project, everything was fine. When I attempted to do the 3D tutorial, following all the guidelines and code that you are given, I am getting nothing but a black screen when I debug and run the program. What am I doing wrong?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2008 12:14
Can we see some code please.

Just a shot in the dark here but, when using 3d you don't need to call dbCLS(), if you remove this line (if it exists) you should see something.

Who is your Daddy, and what does he do?
short
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 06:11

That's exactly it, and that's all, just as in the tutorial.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 13:52
Is the Colonel-X.x model in the output directory, otherwise it will not work.

The best thing to do I think is to create a directory and set this as the output directory for debug and release configurations, and put all your media into this directory.

The Sun is trying to kill me!
short
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 22:57
I'm sorry, like I said I'm new and I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. I don't know where to look for it, but I've attempted to look through my files and I cannot find the Colonel-X.x file. I also am not sure what you mean by create a directory for the debug and release configuration. Sorry, really new.
Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
did you install the august directx sdk?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 14:30
Quote: "I'm sorry, like I said I'm new and I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that"

Thats what these forums are for.

If you go into your project directory, create a new folder called whatever you like. Now, in Visual Studio go into your project properties then here is a combo box at the top make sure this is set to All Configurations then on the left select Configuration Properties then under this select General. Now on the right there will be a property call Output Directory, just click this and browse to your new folder that you created, now when you build the project either in Debug or Release it will be created in that folder.

Now all you need to do is copy which ever model you want to load into that directory.

Good practice is to check that the file exists before trying to load it. I have added this to your code below.

The Sun is trying to kill me!
short
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 16:56
I still don't know for sure what you meant by project directory, but I created a new output folder in my "Project" files for Microsoft Studios. I also changed the configurations and set the output folder to my new folder. I added that little bit of code and with a dbPrint that said "Does not exist" and now when I debug it it just says "Loading.... (enter) Does not exist." I can, however, exit/end the program which I wasn't capable of doing before. So I'm closer. I also tried putting in a new model, Colonel Z, but I'm not entirely sure how to implement it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:24:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:24:47