Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Massive Multiplayer Game in DGDK - Help!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to make a massive free MMOFPS game in DGDK. The idea will be that separate map .exe files will be called for different maps and variables will be passed in between the two .exe file by means of a temp .txt file. The original .exe file will be off-line but the actual map .exe files will be full Online Arenas. My problem here is that I have no idea how the multiplayer commands work. (NO IDEA WHATSOEVER). I was just wondering if someone would be able to build me a cope snippet that would show me how to create a client/server online game in DGDK.

Thanks,
SandShark

-What Signature?
John Goewert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2008 03:30
Look at the networking example code in the Challenge Thread, Frank (Pharoseer) posted how to set it up.

Though, the DarkGDK framework for networking is not set for MMO-Anything.

Using DGDK since 01/01/2008
Blah - http://www.john.goewert.org
XFS Illusion
Years of Service
User Offline
I know there are alot of requests for MMO ideas in here...which is fine since i'm working on my own right now..it's quite common also to be told it can't be done after many people spend they're hard earned cash on TGC software. But considering it's in the .NET framework, you are not limited to just TGC stuff. The DarkGDK MP commands are too slow basically, at least thats what many say. I can say that in my own program me and a team are working on..though it's undecided whether we'll use DarkGDK or not...we have decided that even if we do, we'll be using the .NET built in system commands.

Focus your learning around the .NET framework, and consider the DarkGDK as just a tool to use within that framework, afterall, it's basically just a directX wrapper. So if you want true results, don't waste your time, or at the very least, limit yourself to the DarkGDK commands...look into learning about communications using the .NET system libraries. One great thing about the DarkGDK library is that you get to use a REAL language to write your code...hence you are not limited to just one library. After we looked at the built in MP commands, we decided to use the .NET framework to harness Winsock and write our own library to handle our network code. My point is, using any .NET language, whether it be C++, C# or vb.net, you have options and alternatives. You basically just need PC's to talk to each other, so do some research on that on the net.

I know in DBP, the MP commands were also limited. Benjamen created a couple DLLs being Tempest and Multisync that improved it a great deal. Rumor has it, he's building a new one for the new GDK, but don't quote me on that. If thats the case though, I look forward to seeing it's release. Good luck with your project.

Sand Shark 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much for the replies, they are much appreciated.

-What Signature?
Sephnroth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2008 23:36
if you're using c++ dont waste your time with dgdk networking commands and dont waste your time with .NET framework ones or low level apis. you have raknet (http://www.jenkinssoftware.com/) at your deposal and its well worth the time.

Even if you dont want to use that then get one of the other networking libraries - but i can vouch for raknet.

Sand Shark 9
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks very much Sephnroth, it is much appreciated, - very helpful

-What Signature?
mcwell
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't care the networking of DarkGDK,
But I want to know the DarkGDK can be used just as ENGINE for MMORPG.

come from china
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 18:21
If it can be done with DBPro, it can be done with DarkGDK I would suspect.

Carefull managemnet of your terrains, textures, models, sprites, shaders, etc. will all play a part in your game's performance. Since we aren't spending thousands or tens of thousands of dollars on gaming engines for our games we have to set our expectations accordingly.

Can you get some beautiful scenes made with DBPro or DGDK? Sure. There's been quite a few stunning screen shots that I've seen. It's up to you to balance the detail with the frame rate that will be acceptable to you in the end.

From what I've seen so far, the Dark series of engines are very capable of an MMORPG, and for the most part are easier to work with that some other engines out there.

Don't think, just code.
Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 20:52
I second RakNet, that thing rocks and if you are using C++ with DarkGDK and not the .Net version, hands down RakNet for network handline. Most people jump in on the MMORPG band wagon without understanding exactly "what" is communicated from the client to the server. It is the very basic of information, on top of that, you need to understand what is called "prediction". All zones are client side based, all static objects are client side based, it is the dynamic shared objects that are stored (data wise, not graphic wise) on the server, the objects that represent those dynamic objects are stored client side.

Ultimately you will be passing serialized structure sets back and forth from the client to the server and vice versa, but not always bi-directional, sometimes you will pass data uni-directional like broadcasts and such.

Zone wide timers that need to be kept in sync with all players in the zone would be considered a broadcasted event. When you are fighting a creature, data about the battle itself would be both broadcast and localized to the battle. The list is really endless.

Its best to sit down with a pen and paper and draw out how your objects will interact on the client then on the server what it means. Then you can start to narrow down what is in common with all of the different things and work out a structure so you can see where the start and end is to the data you want to send.

Seriously though, with DarkGDK and RakNet you can't go wrong.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 23:18
This brings us back to no 1 in programming no matter if its a game or an application for a customer..... Planning. My best friend when Im working is my pen and paper

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:24:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:24:21