Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark Physics

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 15:58
Dark Physics has been released for Dark GDK. For more details on Dark Physics go to http://darkphysics.thegamecreators.com/ Information on the site will later be updated to reflect the contents of the GDK version.

Anyone who already owns Dark Physics for Dark Basic Pro can download the GDK version from their order history.

Anyone who wants to purchase Dark Physics can do so from the link above - you will get the option to download the Dark Basic Pro and Dark GDK versions.

Please be aware that the Dark GDK version only contains a small subset of example programs. It does not contain all of the tutorials and example program that come with the Dark Basic Pro version. However, it includes all of the functionality.

Please ensure you install the Ageia runtime from http://www.ageia.com before using Dark Physics. Also a note on making your programs - you will find in the Samples folder there are 4 DLLs. These DLLs need to be in your programs working directory for everything to run correctly.
wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 16:33 Edited at: 25th Jan 2008 16:39
nice

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 16:50 Edited at: 25th Jan 2008 18:29
Excellent news Mike ... thanks.

[EDIT]
At nearly £30 as opposed to free for the PhysX SDK could you summerise the 'Added Value' for us Mike? I'm assuming you have encapsulated a lot of the complexity allowing for much simpler coding.

Also I notice this is for XP ONLY. Not that I'm a great fan of Vista but it's here and not going to go away so are there plans for Vista support in the future, what's the issue here?

No matter how good your code is, someone will improve on it
General Reed
Years of Service
User Offline
cmon man, give mike a break. He deserves it!

Thanks mike!

CPU: AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz GFX: NVIDIA BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB OC-550mhz core RAM: 2048mb

monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 19:57
Pixel Perfect

It makes adding physics to your games a piece of cake, you can have a static physics geomtery and a character controller in about ten lines of code.

Who is your Daddy, and what does he do?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 20:07
Dark Physics is an ideal option for those who want to get on with coding their games. It takes away a lot of the complexity of using the Ageia SDK and can save time and effort. Just go with whatever you feel best. Both options have their good and bad points.

Also Dark Physics works on XP and Vista. It's unlikely you will run into any issues on Vista.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 20:10 Edited at: 25th Jan 2008 20:11
Here is a simple example demonstrating how to use Dark Physics with Dark GDK. The program is very simple - it drops a lot of spheres into a very basic scene.

It integrates into Dark GDK quite well.
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2008 20:41
Thanks for clarifying that Mike. Parhaps you might correct your Order Page which clearly states:

Quote: "Dark Physics works on Windows XP only."

http://darkphysics.thegamecreators.com/order.php

Having converted the DBProODE Physics Library to run with DarkGDK I know how easy it made it to integrate physics into my projects. So I'm really looking forward to this (I believe) far more powerful library.

It's just at £30 I know some people will ask the question so I thought I'd get it out the way at the start of the thread!

Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 13:59
Quick question Mike. What version level is the DarkGDK release at with respect to the DBPro versions?

I've looked but nothing in the expansion pack seems to indicate this.

Thanks

Hobbs
Years of Service
User Offline
Mike

Should this version also work with DGDK.NET?
If Not I got the wrong version.
The activation screen never showed up and no email came with an order key. Or I just don't understand the installation process.
What can I do?

Thanks
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 18:59 Edited at: 27th Jan 2008 19:01
@Hobbs

The GDK version of DarkPhysics doesn't require activation, you only need to activate it when using it through DBP.

As for the activation code, if you go to your order history just above the table containing your orders there should be a link to the activation codes for all your purchased products (only needed for DBP)

I don't think you can use the current version with GDK.NET, I asked Mike about this and he said they are going to get GDK.NET(free) released first then port the plug-ins over. This I assume includes DarkAI, DarkLights, DarkPhysics etc.....

Who is your Daddy, and what does he do?
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 20:06
This release matches the latest one released for DB Pro.

Hoping to release .NET versions in the future. For now the packs only work with the C++ version of Dark GDK.

Once installed check out the start menu for links to documentation and sample programs.
Pixel Perfect
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 23:23
So thats the 1.03 beta then? Sorry to keep asking, but seeing that nearly all of the forum posts are currently for the DBPro versions it would be really handy to know.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2008 08:49
Yes it is.
theplake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 09:24 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 10:00
nice

I hope for visual c++ .net i comes.
Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
may i ask, is the version of dark physics for darkgdk is also free?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 19:48
You have to pay for DarkPhysics, but it's worth every penny.

The Sun is trying to kill me!
Lover of games
Years of Service
User Offline
well, i've noticed that some commands are missing Mainly dbPhyRigidBodyTorque and there could be otheres, i'll make a thread about the ones that are missing, mike

"Originally I was going to have a BS on it but you know how that would be. I can't walk around with the letters BS on me." More or less a qoute by Syndrome from Jack, Jack, attack
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 05:07
I love this one..not missing...just MIA:

Rigid Body Creation Area of DarkPhsics Help
PHY MAKE RIGID BODY DYNAMIC MESH - Create a new dynamic rigid body mesh that is attached to an object.

From the help Docs
Quote: "
Note that certain styles of meshes will cause problems for this command and may result in this command failing. It is also possible that this command will no longer be supported in the future.
"

Only one of the MAIN reasons I bought Dark Physics - to simulate "things" besides boxes and balls.... not mention the whole "Certain Styles of meshes may not..." ... Every Mesh I tried - including Dark Matter doesn't work. I have tanks now - made of DarkPhysics boxes that if upside down - balance 4 feet in the air on the antennae!!!! (That's using BOX naturally as a replacement. I've done some work arounds... to get by kinda but - MAJOR LET DOWN)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:21:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:21:55