Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK or Pro

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 05:37
Do all the packs in Ultimate DarkBASIC Professional Extension Pack 2006 come for Dark GDK and is Dark GDK or Dark Basic Professional Better?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Ask yourself first if you want to program in C++ or DarkBasic Professional.

http://3dfolio.com
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 17:03
The GDK has its pros and cons, as does DBP.

DBP is the easier language without a doubt, but C++ has the advantage of being object orientated, it is faster and the MS IDE is a nice development environment.

The plug-ins that are avaiable for use with GDK are DarkPhysics, DarkAI, DarkShader, DarkLights, EZRotate and EnhancedAnimations.
There may be more, but the above are all available.

Personally I would suggest the GDK if you have the patience to learn the language. I own DBP and GDK, I use DBP to prototype ideas, effects etc... Once I have tested it I then port it to GDK, they compliment each other nicely.

Who is your Daddy, and what does he do?
MultiyPlayer game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 19:43
Programming with c++ is not a problem. i just want the most speed i can get. i really just needed to know which one runs the fastest i think GDK will just making sure so i whould no which one to get. Thanks
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 19:45
Quote: "Ask yourself first if you want to program in C++ or DarkBasic Professional."

or in .NET....

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine
http://noggs.netopcom.dk/forum/default.asp - Forum for the game
MultiyPlayer game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 19:46
I have one more question how fast will GDK run compared to FPSC?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2008 22:00
FPSC is written in DBPro, so you will see an increase in speed.

Also, how FPSC constructs it's geometry is not very efficient, don't get me wrong it is a nice engine. FPSC uses blocks or segments to construct it's static geometry, for instance a wall that spans 1,000 dbp units up and down in FPSC this would be made of boxes (which are 100 dbo units in height and length) so you would have 10^2 or 100 of these blocks. so thats 8 vertices per block, so thats 800 vertices in total, where as if you use a CSG modeller and construct the wall as a whole you could cut this down to 8, or even 4 if you get rid of the other 5 faces.

But yeah, you would definitely see a speed increase.

Who is your Daddy, and what does he do?
Antigroup
Years of Service
User Offline
Ya, i like using GDK and, with MSDN you can learn C++ and combine it into your games along with the GDK code. Also, GDK games much faster than DBpro and compiles faster using Visual C++ express. You can check out the comparison at http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/?f=darksdkvsdbpro
but the extensions won't work so it won't be good if you are dependent on them. Last of all, GDK is FREE as is Visual Studio 2008 express
Virtual X
Years of Service
User Offline
go with DarkGDK and C++, to be honest, spend your time learning a development language that professional companies use, your time will be better spent spending a couple years learning C++ than spending the same time learning BASIC.

IMHO
MultiyPlayer game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 19:21
Ok thanks i have started useing DarkGDK i like it it works good. I planing it go to FullSail when i finish HighSchool are there any other collages that any of you all whould recomend for game programming.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:31:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:31:22