Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / How do I load my map from FPSC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i made a map from fpsc and i dont know how to put it in darkgdk, please help
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 15:12
To load the static geometry you can either use dbLoadObject and load the universe.dbo file, or you can use dbLoadStaticObjects which will load the object with the added bonus of using portal occlusion on the map which is a definite advantage.

(Note: the portal occlusion will only work on the FPSC maps, I'm not sure whether this function will load any object regardless of occlusion)

But to load all of the dynamic entities etc you would need to parse the scripts or whatever it is that FPSC uses to store the map objects.

The Sun is trying to kill me!
Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
well, ive tried using the code but it says somewhere in DGDK that it only loads maps with .X and .DBO so... how'd i export a .FPM to .DBO?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 20:07
The .fpm file is not the map model it is a script which the engine reads then loads all the files that are specified in the .fpm file.

The map model is the universe.dbo, again this is only the static geometry, not the entities.

Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
so i have to take out the map model in the .fpm? how do i do that? ive been reading that its all about exporters and all but i cant seem to find a link for it.
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 21:29
The .dbo file is not located in the .fpm file that is just a scrip. You need to build you map/game then in the levelbank there should be a zip file, the password is [b]mypassword[/i], once extraced the universe.dbo file is loacted in there.

Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks a bunch! will try that later ^_^
Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
there's a problem, the map that i wanted to be loaded isnt the map that i created. also, the walls are gray and the "sky" is blue. what am i doing wrong?
monotonic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 12:09 Edited at: 30th Jan 2008 12:10
The link below is to a newletter that contains a tutorial that Steve Vink wrote, it demonstrates loading an FPSC level into DBro. So all you need to do convert the function calls into GDK and your away.

(The tutorial is about a third of the way down)
http://www.thegamecreators.com/data/newsletter/newsletter_issue_37.html

Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
ive managed to load the map and all but the problem still persist that the walls are gray and the sky is blue
CuCuMBeR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 20:49
you also need to copy the texturebank folder from the zip file to the project folder where your dbo object resides in.

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.
Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
ive managed to solve the problem with thanks again to you (to the both of you rahter - monotonic and cucumber ^_^)

all i need to do is to get the .DBO file from the zip file like monotonic said and followed some steps from his link and followed the advice of cucumber to place the texturebank (also from the zip file) to the same folder of my directory folder as specified by SetCurrentDirectory. it really helped thanks!

though my next problem would be... the map that im trying load isnt the one that ive created... rather FPSC made another map that i didnt designed.
Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
mods kindly close my thread, it has been resolved ^_^

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:20:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:20:39