Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

The 20 Line Challenge / [LOCKED] How long is a line of code?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2008 20:13
Is this a rhetorical question?... No, the problem with the "25 commands maximum on a single line" rule is that in DBC a line can't have more than 255 characters, so while an entry may be valid in DBP, DBC users couldn't make a working program that had the same amount of code.
Is this unfair?
Is DBC so old no one cares?
Does it make any difference at all?
What do the people think?

sinisterstuf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 12:45
Oh, I guess that's why DBpro stops scrolling along really long lines, wondered about that.

Maybe if you're using DBclassic you could write your program uncompressed, copy it to notepad and compress it in there... I do that sometimes. Actually I sometimes write the program itself in notepad because my DBpro is at home.

So yeah, that's just my opinion: it isn't unfair cos there's a way around it.

Happy, always happy!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 18:17
I see Obese's Point - Because if a DBClassic Person tries the 20liner - it won't work - hardly a workaround.

REVOLT! Start a Revolution! Calculate some how many lines of code minimum you need in DBCLassic by taking a GREAT 20liner that runs from here (for DBPro) and making it happen (if code commands permit)

Then see what you have for a alteernative - people might bite:

Maybe: DBClassic 30lines - DBPro 20?

BN2 Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is DBC so old no one cares?"

If by "no one" you mean the developers, then yes I do believe that they don't care about DBC anymore. Sorry to be a cynic, but everything that has been created as a DarkBASIC addition since DBP came out has been for DBP. Of course, there is no reason for them to NOT make something for their most recent product line, but they instantly dropped DBC. The only reason they came out with a recent update for it was because it wasn't compatible with vista. Other than that it has been about 6 years since there was a new update available for DBC.

Re. the topic, i agree with jason that there should be a conversion between 20 lines in dbp and a new number for dbc. It could be a simple as taking how many characters are allowed in 1 dbp line and dividing that by 255, to see the ratio. Multiply that by 20 and you have your new limit for DBC
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 03:28 Edited at: 25th Feb 2008 03:29
Quote: "Re. the topic, i agree with jason that there should be a conversion between 20 lines in dbp and a new number for dbc. It could be a simple as taking how many characters are allowed in 1 dbp line and dividing that by 255, to see the ratio. Multiply that by 20 and you have your new limit for DBC"

That would be nice but I bet people would argue it's unfair in DBC's favour as there are some commands you must start a new line for. If that's not the case in DBP then it cancels itself out and is not an issue

Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 17:45
Quote: "What do the people think?"

I'm Thinking ARBYS!....

I Guess its unfair for DB Users..a little..
But I've Got both so it really does not matter anymore for
me...
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2008 22:47
Quote: "If by "no one" you mean the developers, then yes I do believe that they don't care about DBC anymore. Sorry to be a cynic, but everything that has been created as a DarkBASIC addition since DBP came out has been for DBP. Of course, there is no reason for them to NOT make something for their most recent product line, but they instantly dropped DBC. The only reason they came out with a recent update for it was because it wasn't compatible with vista. Other than that it has been about 6 years since there was a new update available for DBC."

As far as I'm aware, they don't 'Not care,' they're just focusing on DBP. And the recent was by a forumer by the name of Ron Ericson anyway.
After all, the most successful TGC-using game maker uses DBC. (That's starwraith, naturally)

Lee Bamber - Blame Beer
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 01:00
@INH
So basically they do care about DBC, they've just abandoned it?
Thumbs up to Ron and also someone at starwraith did some work for the update too

Gosub
Years of Service
User Offline
What's it outdated by?
sindore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2008 11:19
Iv put out a challenge to any one who is interested,
her is the link

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124954&b=30

I hope you come and have a go, If you've got the man lumps

From the dark and in to the light, twisted the body of madness, dark souls to only the one who would be called, Death lord of the dead, king of the forgotten, keep of lost souls.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 15:18:03
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 15:18:03