Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Visual C++ or C++

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
for Dark GDK, is the programming in Visual C++, or regular C++, and whats the difference between them. Also does anyone know a good place to learn C++ (or Visual C++) any help. thanks

wickedly kick it
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 04:19
different interfaces, visual is just a Microsoft product, while c++ is the languages used. But i would use Visual C++, and to learn.. well i would buy a book from your local bookstore about c++ game programming, but that might not help with dark gdk since the use of Dark GDK is easier than normal C++ and directx or OpenGL

Antigroup
Years of Service
User Offline
Dark GDK imbeds itself into Visual C++ 2008. Therefor, you have acess to it's functions when you are creating any type of application using it. But, The Dark GDK - Game template is a native Win32 application, so it runs on any Win32 platform. But like Wickedly said, C++ is a universal computer language. It is used even with developing Console Games (I.E)Xbox360. But Dark GDK's functions are made with functions available with DirectX, which is only on Windows. But you could integrate Visual C++ into your game but then it would rely on the .NET framework. That is something you really won't want if you feel like selling your games. Because downloading .NET takes a while.

Recap:
Visual C++ = more functions,DarkGDK,.NET required
C++ = DarkGDK,works on and win32 platform
Lion Jin
Years of Service
User Offline
Visual C++ is a software ,a C++ compiler ,C++ is a computer language .
The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 13:43 Edited at: 1st Feb 2008 13:44
so visual C++ isn't a language, it's a program to use regular C++ ? then what is "C" ?

Para _Charlie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 14:44
C is a general-purpose, block structured, procedural, imperative computer programming language developed in 1972 by Dennis Ritchie at the Bell Telephone Laboratories for use with the Unix operating system.[2] It has since spread to many other platforms. Although C was designed as a system implementation language,[3][4] it is also widely used for applications. C has also greatly influenced many other popular languages,[5] especially C++, which was originally designed as an extension to C.

DBP 6.3 DX 9.0c
3.2Gig Proc, 2Gigs Ram, SATA HD, Gigabyte MB, 6800GT Vid
The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for the info. But is Visual C++ a language, or a program to use regular C++ ? And if it's a language, is it that different from regular? thanx

Blood Of The Prophets
Years of Service
User Offline
It is an IDE used to create programs. It has two versions of C++ built into it.

1) Normal C++

2) C++.Net - This version of c++ using the .net framework

DarkGDK uses normal c++, the one you would find in other programs like GCC or Dev C++
The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks everyone for the help. so just as an overview: Visual C++ is a program used to program C++, or C++.net I think I got it. Just one final question. If I know C++ do I know C ? Thanx

Blood Of The Prophets
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty much, the syntax is the same but the libraries are different. However don't bother coding in C if you know C++ there isn't really a point.
The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 22:14 Edited at: 1st Feb 2008 22:18
why isn't there a point? (by the way, thanks for clearing that up)
whats the difference between the 2 languages anyway?

Deagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 22:51
C++ is object oriented, C is not.

Deagle aka D-Eagle
The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
again im new, what does that mean?

kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 07:21
I think you will find out some information about object oriented programming here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

Thiago
Daggeth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 14:14 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2008 14:19
As stated earlier, Visual C++ is a piece of software and C++ is a language.

Visual C++ is a Microsoft product that compiles C++ code. It adheres to all C++ syntax standards, meaning that you can grab ANY C++ code on the internet, and it WILL compile it.

HOWEVER, Visual C++ comes with its own nifty features.. specific to ONLY Visual C++ (sometimes these features are referred to as the .NET framework) What are these features that I'm blabering about?
- Easily integratable windows forms
- Certain statements such as try-catch
- Availability of classes such as <vector>

For example, if you wanted to make a dynamic array (an array that dosen't have a size specified) in C++, you'd pretty much write a couple of pages of code to achieve the result and want to shoot yourself in the face. Visual C++ however already does the work for you, and provides you the Vector class!

For starting out, I'd recommend the Visual C++ software.. its free, its already integrated, its stable, it has good references online.. what more could you want? :<

Now you say, "Why would anyone use raw C++???"

The answer is simple. Lets consider a company, like The Game Creators, but instead of making a graphics engine like DarkGDK, they make a physics engine like BulletPhysics, ODE Physics, Havok, Aegia.. etc. A physics engine is a complex program that requires non-complex functions. You can solve most physics problems with sin, square, add and subtract functions. If they were to write their program in Visual C++, they could only distribute it on a PC (mind you, a PC with windows) or I think XBox (maybe, I'm not sure). If they write it as C++ without the features of VC++, then they could distribute it to *Nix, Mac, PS3, Windows, XBox.. everything, basically.

Note: You are already "handicapped" by DarkGDK as it can ONLY support the windows platform, so "cross-platform" application is really not going to happen.
The Master
Years of Service
User Offline
so if you can code in C++, why do you need Dark GDK?

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2008 20:51
DarkGDK is a set of functions that run on C++ to make 3D coding easier, it's not a language on its own.

It uses DirectX, which can be used in C++, but only if you are really clever and know about graphics programming really deeply. DarkGDK makes it easier.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Daggeth
Years of Service
User Offline
"Don't reinvent the wheel."

Pretty much something very important you need to understand now if you are to proceed.

If you really wanted, yes you could program with C++ and DirectX.. but then, you could actually program with C++ ONLY (And actually write a DirectX-type library (like openGL)).. but you continue to go deeper and deeper into things that have already been done to you.

DirectX simplifies direct hardware access to video cards
DarkGDK simplifies access to DirectX
C++ simplifies direct hardware access to processor AND video card
Visual++ simplifies some tough-to-do things in C++

You could sit down and code your entire game in ASM (ie: direct hardware access).. in fact, I'm pretty sure you could write down binary 0101010001 code if you truly wanted to (Most CSE students get to do this in a class, its painful) but why when you dont?

P.S. I made an error on the vector class, its available in standard c! :<

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:22:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:22:57