Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / dumb question, im sure, but im stuck

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive been reading the tutorials, and reading through this site, but i havent found anything to really help me.

I am trying to simply take a sphere (will become a more complex object later, but for now, just a sphere) and move it around (forward/back - up/down arrow, rotate with left/right) , with the camera following. Im sure there is a simple operation for this, but I am trying to brute force this and its just not working. my camera drifts off to the side, though the camera and the sphere are set on the same plane, just 10 units in the z direction different. and I seem to be unable to rotate the camera.

Please point me in the direction of some sample code that involves navigating in a third person view?

i downloaded the sample files linked on this site, but they seem to just be executables, and unless i am even more retarded than i think, i am unable to view how these files are actually coded so i cant gain any understanding through them..

please help. thank you!
Epipfany Game Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
one option is using the following method: dbSetCameraToFollow

Also are you moving the object or the camara?

are you using: dbPositionObject?

Thanks,
Terry
Chierin
Years of Service
User Offline
ok, i currently have it working by moveing the object and the camera simultaniusly. when i want to turn, i set the camera to be at the same position as the object, turn it 2 degrees or whatever, then move it backwords how ever far away from my object i have it set to be. Works and looks right, but im sure the SetCameraToFollow function would work better. ill play around with that in a bit.

thank you for your feedback!
Epipfany Game Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry just posting so i can email tracking dont see any other way I apologize.

Thanks,
Terry
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 01:16
i do the method you describe. I've noticed other game engines give you a variety of "basic Camera" behaviors and controls too (fps, maya, etc) but I personally like the way you have more freedom in DarkGDK - and "brute" force does work pretty swell usually.

Have you managed a decent flow for your code yet?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:29:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:29:09