Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Help With Installation (Couldn't find help in sticky)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 02:58
I read through some of the sticky and really couldn't find a solution for this. I have used Dark Gdk before I rebooted my computer, but now it won't install properly. I have the updated version of DX (Aug 2007) and I got Visual C++ 2008 Express.

When I install the GDK, all it does is place a folder in My Documents with EULA and that .exe. It's not in the wizards, there is no folder in my program files that says The Game Creators, and I don't have any keys in my registry that have to do with the game creators.

I am running Windows Vista Basic and I need some help

Pharoseer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 03:49
Hey Mason,

I'd be glad to help, but I don't have Vista. Have you tried re-downloading the installer? Perhaps it somehow got corrupted during the download? Also, are you installing everything to the default locations? That's the extent of my ability to help, unfortunately.

Solving these kinds of problems always seems like voodoo or witchcraft to me. I just stare in awe and fright when someone comes along and says "Oh that's just your fiddley-bopper. You need to tweak the settings in that doo-hickey there, adjust this thingamajig and bam! you're all set."

After that, I just give 'em the ol' deer in the headlights look.

-Frank
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 04:53 Edited at: 8th Feb 2008 04:59
Hi Mason, I had confusion too since I had already owned the commercial version before the Visual 2008 & Dark GDK combo came out. I dont know if this the same with you or if this helps any...

The Dark GDK that you download with Visual 2008 is the latest version of the GDK. So at that point, if you already own the commercial version... then you have nothing to worry about selling your games. I say that since I was confused about that whole point. I didnt know if Dark GDK we download with visual 2008 was "only" for freeware use.

When you install the Dark GDK, wierdly, it does install the EULA and that .exe to the "Game Creators Dark GDK" directory. Run the .exe after you have install visual 2008 and got it going. Then it will install Dark GDK and it's wizard as normal.

Looks by your post, that last step I mentioned could be all you have to do now.

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Redbook Audio CD Soundtrack
Tiomun
Years of Service
User Offline
have you tried uninstalling the gdk. then re download it and try installing that. maybe you had a problem during download? or maybe vista sux not sure lol
Mason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 23:32
Todd Riggins:
Quote: "When you install the Dark GDK, wierdly, it does install the EULA and that .exe to the "Game Creators Dark GDK" directory. Run the .exe after you have install visual 2008 and got it going. Then it will install Dark GDK and it's wizard as normal.

Looks by your post, that last step I mentioned could be all you have to do now."

Ya... your right ha ha.. For some reason I figured the first exe I ran would install the gdk (butthat should be expected right ) but I didn't realize I had to run another setup file. Thanks for all the help Todd, Pharoseer, and Tiomun.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:30:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:30:44