Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 07:29
I ask, why linger?
A forum exists to convey thoughts of others... and these thoughts mold and shape the individuals who are active participants within the forum... but why linger?

Although you can never truely recieve all a forum can provide, the unique people within constantly changing aspects of yourself, the constant state of disequillibrum within the forum itself... there does come a time when the changes within yourself are no longer substantial enough to substantiate the persistance of utility.

If you look at utility in purely developmental context, extending the stay causes others to merely enter a state of stagnation... where development no longer continues because the stimulation does not change.

I ask why linger? There may be a new idea everyday... but there could be a hundred ideas, thousands...

The power of change... is only matched with the power of lucidity... that which I have not. Oh... this is so depressing.

Its not who you are or what you've done... its WHY you did it and how far you are willing to go.
If you fear speaking for yourself, make use the words of others while discovering your own voice.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 07:45 Edited at: 8th Feb 2008 07:46
I feel ya man. It seems everybody wants total gratification from these forums, actually any forums. It's as simple as curiosity at what others think of your idea, model, game, mod, etc. The design of these forums however is a surrogate version of a fpsc help center. Often I look at other's projects that get "ignored" and maybe they'll write a reply to their own post- experiencing and emulating the anger of such ignorance that others cause.

The person may feel attached to their thread, and check it constantly- as a thread is meant to be. But if you check it every say15 mins, thats a minute or two just to look, interrupting your dev pipeline, disrupting your whole project.

For myself, I find I do alot better work if I am focused on the task and not what others think of it here. I may hide my project until completion just to ensure I don't get distracted, then hours of time is lost worrying/checking/answering/presenting info.

What you have to ask yourself is: "Am I more interested in what others think of X or am I interested in finishing X and don't need the constant praise?"

I think it's part of the human pysche to feel the need to show off, but creativity/creation itself is lost when the need to show off takes over the creational spirit.

TGPEG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 08:14 Edited at: 8th Feb 2008 08:15
@Les Horribres:
I see this in a lot of forums. People like myself who are having ideas day-by-day are either limited by the software itself - or the fact that it doesn't work - so end up periodically refreshing the page waiting to see if someone has made a post worth replying to.

Often lingering on a forum doesn't interrupt your dev pipeline, so much as completely block it.

As for showcasing an idea, you really have to know what you're doing as a game-dev to be able to independantly create a good game. I would rather know earlier in the game-dev process that that game is a dud than later.

Having said that, I like it here.

[center]
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2008 10:53
Stagnate- I am one of those that feels very stagnate on these forums but somehow feel that I must come back over and over again. I think this is to stratify my decisions on different ideas concerning Game Dev. Looking around the showcase forum is a daunting task, one that when undertaken can become quite consuming. Alot of the time you run across your basic cookie cutter games and get's very off putting after a while but it's the chance that you may run across a certain room that will get your creative nerve tingling that keeps most of us coming back for more.

Sure there are people that standout and there are people that are lost in the hedgerow, but sometimes it's those that are tangled in the rough that inspire the most constructive and productive development processes.

I will be here hour after hour... staring and studying at the thousands of story plots and level designs that are stored in one of the most resourceful libraries that we have. It's called the showcase thread or my home away from home..or my girlfriend as my wife calls it

Cheers,
Dave

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-10 15:25:36
Your offset time is: 2024-10-10 15:25:36