Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK can be used for MMORPG ? Who can tell me, thanks

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I wonder how about performance of DarkGDK,
It's fit for MMORPG ?
Who can tell me,
thanks

come from china
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2008 20:07
Yes

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 03:21
Ashy
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree.. theres like 50 million posts that are "Can dark GDK make inserttypeofgamehere" the answer is yes.. it can do them all, there is NO limit.. but YOU will never make a MMORPG with it, because its AAAAALLLLOOOOTTTT of hard work and if a team of experienced programmers and 3d artists numbering in the 30's takes 3 years to pump one out on schedule working on it like 24/7. - Thats not to say YOU can't.. just expect to put in some hard yards if you wanna do something half decent.
Niels Henriksen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 14:07
Ashy: Nobody says that a MMORPG needs to have 8 million players... Blizzard has 1200 developers to work on WoW.

A little MMORPG can be made by one person with GDK...

Niels Henriksen
Working on a (MMO)RPG right now in LightEngine (thanks kBessa)
da power pwnerer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 03:44
If you didn't even know that DarkGDK could make an MMORPG, than you obviously aren't close at all to even attempting one.

-Dan

http://Freewebs.com/noobisoft
Come to Noobisoft's website today!
kBessa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 04:12 Edited at: 17th Feb 2008 16:20
Me and Apex discussed about this yesterday.

You can make any kind of game with DGDK. Of course it wouldn't be the state-of-the-art in graphics, performance, etc. But you can make any genre of games with it, even create your own new genre.

The great problem is: people tend to forget the ammount of work necessary. Imagine an MMO RPG (or any MMO game). It already says that is online, and MASSIVE. It's not only making a "cute" game, but you must think about the server first, have a good knowledge of TCP/UPD transmissions and a lot more. DGDK's Multiplayer is, as far as I know, a wrapper to DirectPlay, which is DEAD, and would never support a MMO.

One piece of advice. If this is your first time with DGDK, and even more important if is your first game making attempt, start with something simple but fun, a game that you are pretty sure you can complete: finish, polish and release.It might not be the next "The Sims" or "Mario" (in terms of financial success), but it is something you can look at and say: "I DID IT!"

I'm not discouraging anyone, nor am I saying no one is capable of doing great games (plenty of great ones in WIP forum). It's just that it's too sad seeing a lot of new faces around (after DGDK was released for free), people wanting to do MMO's and FPS's, but cannot (or won't try) to understand the included Samples, like a simple space invaders. Even a lot more wanting to make games without knowing how to make simple operations in C++. I am saying this because 9 years ago, I was one of these kind of people, but
I really only learned something when I forgot about it and started learning how to program simple things. Then, two years later I finished my first game: Snakes (Done in Delphi with DelphiX, if I'm not mistaken). Idiot? Maybe, but fully finished.

@mcwell: My long post is not destined to you, don't worry. And welcome to DarkGDK forum. About your question, you know the answer already

Regards,
Thiago
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 14:45
mcwell
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks for above reply

my problem is, I have developed a 2.5D MMORPG, and now I want to develop a 3D MMORPG, so I do care of DarkGDK.

and I want to say, In China, if have 50K players pay for your MMORPG,
you can earn 2 million USA$ every year. and the human resource is, 8 programmers, 6 game designers, and 10 artist

It was said, Blizzard develop WOW only 200 people, as the game develop team, that's evey huge.

come from china
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 14:21
Well - be prepared to make special code for your local languages - I only say this because I heard the multi-language support is a bit wanting. I personalyl only use the english version - so I can't comment from experience... but just be aware you MIGHT have to make your own system to display language for your users using a home made system.

Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 19:38
Games are what we make as developers. For most games you also need an artist or if you are artist / dev / musician / sound / all, you are awesome, I bow to you cause I am not that good

Look at it this way, you have core system, database engine, cluster setup, zone differentiation and user collaboration, storyboards, plot, theme, cycling, heartbeat capturing (if you don't know what that is, forget any MMORPG thoughts now, this second, and don't look back) inventory management, resource management, utility creation for zones / dungeons / towns, tools for GM's (people who help you for free cause they like your game), big one here is the ability to update your system and not bring down your servers.. think about that one for a minute then think python. Inner scripting engine, well I could go on, seriously.

Start with this, make a single player game of what you want to make an MMO out of, then turn it MMO by adding all the network components. If you run out of patience making a regular RPG, well obviously you can't hack making an MMO so no need to waste your time with it
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 01:08
@Zumwalt, Alot of the time you would need to bring down your servers to update it :p

Zumwalt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 16:21
Not
http://www.heroengine.com/
ZERO server downtime using that engine. Now, I don't own that engine but I've pretty much figured out how to impliment a way to add more content / code or modifications to my system without bringing down the server. The only time you need to bring down the server is if you have to modify the core to your server component. Just think OOP and modulation, then think about a way to add content or change behavioral AI without having to bring down your server and you have it made , its taken me about 2 years to come up with a way for me to do it and I am a noob.
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 01:53
Yeah I was talking hard coded things with scripting it is different, With it being a change in the Engine you would be REQUIRED to do a restart due to code difference, script is a different story as they would not require a downtime, but if there is something new to be added that is past a script level then you will have a downtime, so you really cant promise 0 downtime.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:29:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:29:20