Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Everything about Terrain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 05:06 Edited at: 11th Feb 2008 08:15
Ok, so obviously the terrain objects have their fair share of problems, but they have so much functionality that so many of us clearly love.

These are my problems. I've looked everywhere and have come across various threads, but not really any answers. I thought we could have a discussion here about how various people got around problems and bugs.

-Firstly - edit* You can have more than one terrain, however you can't delete them or replace them
I found that if you're not calling dbUpdateTerrain ( ) you can create terrain objects as much as you want (it builds the mesh oject), but that means it's probably not doing the optimization right? Calling the dbDeleteObject (int) must delete the mesh, however not the terrain data (causing crashes and not allowing another terrain to be loaded using that reference int). Does anyone know how to delete the actual terrain?

-dbSaveTerrain () doesn't actually work.
Apparently the load function does?

-dbSetupTerrain ( ) is missing from documentation
You need this to setup a terrain object.

-Deleting a terrain objects does seem to work, however that first terrain is the only terrain that can work with dbUpdateTerrain ( ). Trying to recreate the terrain or create a new ID causes errors.
Basically, once you make one terrain that's it? If you can't save to DBT initially then you can't load them so that's not a solution either.

I think the source of many problems is the dbUpdateTerrain ( ) function should be dbUpdateTerrain ( int terReference) so different terrains can operate as seperate terrain objects?

Is there any way I can fix this manually? Or can there be updates?
I'm going crazy

All I want to do is delete and replace a terrain once the program is running (which I assume anyone would need for a game that scrolls from one terrain to the next or has levels - which must be what... 98% of all games lol.)

If anyone else has had any problems with terrain or has any answers to my problems PLEASE post them here ^^ Cheers!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 08:27
You can have more than one - I may have been the culprit to write otherwise. I was wrong. You can create multiple terrains and move em around.

(Though better off using 1 in my opinion)

I never save or load terrains - I usually build on the fly - thats a shame they dont work though - would be a good time saver for game loading time.

hmmm.... sound slike you are having trouble with multiple terrains - strange... Delete no go eh? hmm... Maybe yu just have to deal - load one decent one - and try to make it work.

Dunno.

MultiyPlayer game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 22:08
Is it posabale to make an never ending Terrain?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2008 23:56
Possible? Probably. Likely you'll do it awesomely? Unlikely... Why? Because the overhead to pull it off in my tests so far seems a bit much (using DarkGDK anyway) to pull it off with any good amount of detail.

You'd need to do it with your own frustrum culling, probably some sort of poly optimization for LOD - (Which I think is just to much for DarkGDK) - Plus - to load/delete objects thorugh out a game in DarkGDK wreaks havoc....

Do what they did in Far cry and What I'm doing... Make an Island!

Alfie
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that post approval thing is annoying lol. I understand why it's necessary though.

Anyway, sorry yes you can have more than one terrain. I stuffed that post a bit and wanted to edit it, however I had to wait for it to be approved and wasn't about when it went up. I've edited what I said.

What function were you using to move them around jason p sage? And have you tried deleting them? Any success? I would greatly appreciate if anyone could give me any ideas!
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2008 13:23
Um - again your posts are on delay - but deleting regularly is just bad in DarkGD/DBPro.

There are a lot of threads along this line in DBPro forum - search for them - what you see there is applicable here 99% of the time.

In DBPro and DarkGDK - you need to learn their strengths and weaknesses before you set out.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 11:29:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 11:29:32