Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / FL Studio - Is it a con?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2008 17:59
Obviously not an illegal con, but a money making scheme?

I ask because I recently realized that I had every piece of game creation software I could need, except a decent music composer. Obviously I turned to FL Studio first, downloaded the demo, and wasted many hours of my life making songs that were of no use what so ever.

So naturally I wanted to buy the full version. However, $299 is a little steep, but thankfully everything I could possibly need was in the £25 cheapo version, or so I thought.

But while browsing through the features list, I saw that the cheaper version did not contain a Piano roll. What does this mean? 'Cuz £25 for what is essentially a drum mixer is insane. Surely you can make notes on the cheaper version? The next version would cost me £50 and I'm a cheapskate by heart, So I would appreciate any assistance with this.

Thanks.

This image is purely work in progress.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
you made the same mistake i did, buying the express edition, that's just crap, it's completely unusable, but right after i saw what crap it was i immediately upgraded my fl program to fruity edition, it has the piano roll, and then later i upgraded to producer edition, that one has got the automation clips and audio clips.

I can only advice you to upgrade your fl program from express to fruity, it's only another 49$ bucks.

stuff..
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2008 19:17 Edited at: 12th Feb 2008 21:59
OK, thanks for the pointer. I think I probably will buy the Fruity edition.

EDIT: I did buy it. I'm waiting for them to make sure I didn't steal the credit card or anything...

This image is purely work in progress.
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 15:21
Yeah... funny story about that. About 1 month after I bought from them, my bank sent me a note that said an oversees card processor (World Pay??) lost a bunch of credit card numbers and they thought mine was in it. Turned out it was fine, but...

Still laughable that after they make you wait like 24 hours to make sure I'm not ripping them off, I get a note about my card maybe being compromised.

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 15:50
I personally use sibelius for composition, and then ProTools for recording/mixing, but for the lower end stuff I would say I am not a fan at all of FL studio. Might i suggest Cubase? You should be able to find an audio interface somewhere that comes with cubase, and it will be well worth your money if you wish to be extremely diverse in video game music.
Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 21:28
FL Studio Producer edition is what I own, and it's amazing. You can only blame yourself for not finding out which versions of FL Studio had which features

Sig by BiggAdd.
Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 23:51
As a non user of FL Studio may I ask current users if what the ProTools community says is true about FL Studio and that its geared towards those that make loops/techno
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " geared towards those that make loops/techno"

no

stuff..
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 08:16
Nemesis_0_

You should develop your own opinon. You might find it a handy additon to your curent tool box.

Like any other tool, FLStudio has it's place. As does ACID, SONAR... A products usefullness shouldn't be defined by it's percieved primary user base, just like an artist's quality isn't defined by the software they use.

Nemesis_0_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 15:38
Which is why I was asking someone outside of the ProTools community :p Its a pretty penny to pay for something i "might" use lol!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 16:09
The full version of FL Studio is a nice piece of software, too many knobs and switches for my liking (I don't really like synthesizer style music), but the demo version does let you export to MP3, which is damn handy, so I'm not sure why your creations were useless with the demo.

Thing with FL Studio though is that you could spend a fortune on packs and plugins for it, there is quite a lot supplied but things like soundfonts are really lacking, so further investment is pretty much inevitable with it.

less is more, but if less is more how you keeping score?
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 17:25
Quote: "...Its a pretty penny to pay for something i "might" use lol! "
and
Quote: "...too many knobs and switches for my liking..."

I can relate too both of your statements. I actually use it for post-mixdown processing. Compared to what some Eq's and filter packages cost, I feel I get my money's worth. But I only use like 5% of it's actual power. I am no FLStudio guru.

You really should try out the demo like Van B said. If you decide to buy, look at the version charts carefully before you do. I was pissed when I bought the step down from producer and was like where did all those tools/feats go?

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 19:08
I already did buy, and not only that I tried out the demo first too, but I had the fact that I wasn't paying preying on my mind all the time, as well as that ocean wave sound.

You can write crap in DBPro as well as DBC - it just crashes quicker! -TDK

Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
haha i love your new signature Inh

stuff..
Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 21:16
Hmm, might make a bunch of them...

You can write crap in DBPro as well as DBC - it just crashes quicker! -TDK