Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 01:02 Edited at: 11th Apr 2008 23:54
Back with my first WIP of the year, and indeed the most promising and exciting: Behold, an actual game! This is a remake of the classic game Puyo-Puyo, or as I have always primarily known it, Dr. R's Mean Bean Machine. Wikipedia has some nice tips on how you play. Basically, the aim of the game is to chain puyo, avoid filling the grid, and increase your score.

Gameplay:
The idea of the game is to chain four or more puyo of the same colour to remove them from play and increase your score. Puyo can be chained horizontally and vertically, but not diagonally. Combo's, or chain reactions, can be induced as chained puyo allow those above to fall and join surrounding puyo to form new chains. A chain of four puyo will add 40 points to your score, a subsequent chain of four will add 40x8, another adds 40x16, then 40x24, etc. Here's a basic chain and a longer chain:

At the start of the game- and following any chains made- you are in control of two puyo, that you can move and spin to fit where you want on the grid, a la Tetris (to some degree). The two puyo will then land atop other puyo or on the grid floor. If one of the puyo lands in mid-air, it will fall and land below. The game ends if you fill the grid to the point of entry at the top, like so:

When playing against an opponent, chains and combos send "Ojama"- I'll refer to them here on in as Refugees, as in MBM- from you to them, and vice versa, to fill the receiver's grid faster, thus giving the other an advantage. These refugees are garbage that cannot be grouped together, but must escape with neighbouring puyo as they are chained.

Features:
Functioning, highly playable game
Original art, including puyo for all possible joinings
Lively puyo animation closely resembling that of MBM
Sounds from Mean Bean Machine for the time being
Correct method of scoring, and display of points from last chain
Clever AI
A variety of play settings you can mess with
Real loading progress bar
To Do List:
Menus, and integration of both menu and game
Completed Exercise Mode
Scenario Mode, or even Story Mode
Mission Mode
Possibly internet-based multiplayer. That's a maybe
Control configuration and pad support

Be Involved!
Now that I have a sturdy core game here, I want to expand on it in several ways, some I've planned, and some I'd like to bring in from your ideas and suggestions. It's by no means a way for me to sit back and do little to nothing: All the best ideas put forward, any number of them, will be worked into the game by me. And of course, demos shall spew forth once momentum is gained.

Youtube video:
Video 1 - 12/02/08 demonstrates some gameplay from points in development over the past few days
Video 2 - 16/02/08 mocks random guesswork before tittering at some basic AI
Video 3 - 18/02/08 foretold the coming of multiplayer. Also, slightly improved AI.
Video 4 - 20/02/08 real head-to-head multiplayer, introducing the refugee.
Video 5 - 23/02/08 Play options, including new flavours of refugee, colour themes, and other adjustables.
Video 6 - 25/02/08 Early video of new AI. Featuring rotation!
Video 7 - 28/02/08 Improved AI. Featuring competence!

Downsized Screens:

Give me an ounce of Puyo, good apothecary, to sweeten my imagination.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks fun.

Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 02:42
Looks cool to me. Easy and fun, wooo!

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 22:05 Edited at: 13th Feb 2008 22:06
Thanks, it is indeed easy and buckets of fun.

Redone first post, new screen, guide, etc.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2008 23:44
I didn't exactly come up with this idea, and you may already have it planned...
You could add a puzzle mode, where the player has to clear the screen with a set number of pieces.

Thanks BiggAdd!
common people are walking in line.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 12:56
If you want to save on images, just make the different shapes, but all white, then you can just use 'set sprite diffuse' The game looks good though

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 16:08 Edited at: 14th Feb 2008 16:11
@Profit:
Nice idea. The clearing the screen idea also reminds of that mode from Mario & Yoshi, where each level started with an increasing number of pieces, but you had an unlimited number of pieces to use.

We could very well have a Puzzle mode, and the option of limited or unlimited pieces. Or, just unlimited/limited alone, and advance further on that single style. Any thoughts?

@Diggsey:
That's what I do already. Each possible puyo is done in white and diffused and animated using a sprite.

Thanks!

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 22:45 Edited at: 14th Feb 2008 22:45
Quote: "We could very well have a Puzzle mode, and the option of limited or unlimited pieces. Or, just unlimited/limited alone, and advance further on that single style. Any thoughts?"
I don't know if you've played Tetris DS, but that is where I got the idea for it. Here is a demonstration video.
I don't really know enough about this game to tell if something like the video would even work well.

Thanks BiggAdd!
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2008 23:23
hmm, Your doubt is correct- puyo don't come in different shapes and sizes, just pairs, thus a Puzzle mode like that here would be rather redundant. However, it could be twisted to fit the context: Perhaps a version where the player must select a place to fit one pair of puyo in order to remove every puyo from the grid? Perhaps even a further modified Puzzle where the player must change a limited number of puyo to again remove all puyo?

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 02:13 Edited at: 15th Feb 2008 02:17

This is an example of what I have in mind. Obviously, this one would be very easy (only 1 piece used), but more than anything, I picture this mode to be "cool". I designed it very quickly, but it should clear the entire board.
Is this similar to what you are imagining?

Now I see this sort of thing is what you have in your animations on the first post. Maybe it's different. Like I said, I don't know much about this game.

Thanks BiggAdd!
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 15:42 Edited at: 15th Feb 2008 15:43
No, you've got it spot on. Except those long chains you've got there would probably clear themselves from the get-go, but that's besides the point. Trimming them to chains of three would have that setup work fine.

The idea of clearing chains is what I have in those animations up there, but this mode would challenge the player to clear everything in one go.

I think that'd work well.

---
Meanwhile, I'm doing some brainstorming of my own. Should return here with some more ideas and such before long.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2008 22:18
Cool, I'm anxious to see what you've got in store for the game.

Thanks BiggAdd!
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 00:03
Video 2 - 16/02/08

Demonstrating the beginning of my first foray EVAR LOLWUT into proper AI. The first part of the vid shows the random AI I started off with. Clearly is it terrible. Bare with it, for the second part proceeds to show off some better stuff (though still very simple). Now able to make some more logical deductions, it still lacks the ability to rotate, predict the best place to set off combos (what combos do occur happen by coincidence, though there can be many), or keep itself from dying, which is pretty useless if it means the player can sit back, do nothing, and watch the opposition work itself into a fateful corner.

Enjhoi.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 17:56 Edited at: 18th Feb 2008 17:57
Video 3 - 18/02/08

Along with a slight improvement in AI, this video showcases multiplayer in several forms- crowding the screen with 3 AI controlled games, pitting two players against each other, and then 2 AI's playing at an increased speed. These games all run parallel, and so there's no sending refugee puyo to the opponent at the moment.

Note: When not under the influence of fraps, the program dances out of it's sluggish daze and parades on at a bit over 100 frames per second. That means two AI's can play off at fantastic speed, and it's all rather trippy.

Ouenjoy!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 18:34
I think it's Puu-joo.

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 19:04
For some reason I've always pronounced it "Poi-o" (rhyming with "Boy-o"). Flew off the tongue a little easier.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 17:43
Video 4 - 20/02/08

With multiplayer swinging into action, I present to you the refugee Puyo. Your chains and combos send a number of refugees over to crowd your opponent's grid. These Puyo cannot group together, but must instead escape with neighbouring Puyo as they disappear.

Also, work-in-progress listing of potential freeplay modes and options attached in a txt file.

Joy...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2008 19:21
Awesome AI and multiplayer! This game is coming together nicely.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 16:03 Edited at: 21st Feb 2008 16:06
Ta

I'm coming up with ways to vary refugee puyo. These could turn up during the main game, and can be set in almost any way in freeplay. Here's my little list so far:

Style Settings
Minimal - Refugees sent is divided by 10.
Random - Each turn, 1/2 refugees will drop into both grids.
Stepped - An increasing number of refugees fall every increasing number of steps.
Standard - As has been seen thus far.

Type Settings
Standard - Refugees escape with neighbouring chains as before.
Strong - Refugees escape after being in contact with 2 or more neighbouring chains.
Timed Strong - Standard refugees turn into strong refugees after being idle for a while.
Colour Coordinated - Refugees can only escape with neighbouring chains of a matching colour.
Concrete - Refugees cannot be destroyed. Useful for quick games.

Other Settings
No Return - Refugees are sent and received as standard.
Return - Refugees deplete the number waiting to fall before the remainder move to the other grid.

Note that where a number is specified, in freeplay it would be possible to adjust it within reasonable bounds. Also note that if several settings are selected, such as both Standard and Strong refugees, refugee type will switch between them randomly when new refugees appear. Aaand additionally, where I make reference to "step", I mean each cycle of the game progression, ie. from the player setting new puyo down to the last chain being popped, that's one step.

Those are my ideas so far. If you want to suggest a new idea, be my guest.

Mo'Co'

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 18:07
That's a totally Lo'Co idea! I love them

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 17:29
Thanks!

Video 5 - 23/02/08

Late a little. Anyway, watch the video, new refugee types are in there. You can also enable more than one type at once. Other stuff includes enabling a fifth colour puyo (you can also reduce the number as well), puyo colour themes (shown are default, rainbow, and autumn), and changing the minimum size of chains.

All these things and a few more will become adjustable from a freeplay setup menu. They'll also be savable and loadable.

Enjoy.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 19:54
Nice, wide array of choices! Good stuff .

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 01:01
Video 6 - 25/02/08

Graharrgh, behold. New AI in the works. Now includes rotation, and several problems yet to be corrected, like puyo missing the intended column, rotating their way up and out of the grid, and finding good but not brilliant places for landing. Fun.

Enjaargh.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2008 02:29
Coming along nicely, eh?

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2008 23:21 Edited at: 29th Feb 2008 00:06
Oh, it's peachy.

Video 7 - 28/02/08

That just about wraps up the AI for now. Problems with puyo missing the target column have been resolved, and the ability to cheat by manoeuvring the puyo to land above the grid has also been fixed (for both AI and human player). Remaining issues include bizarre suicide (wherein, despite my attempts to avert this, the AI decides to just dump the puyo under the spawn point, thus ending the game); and the rate of puyo descent not being increased (equivalent to pressing the down key) because the puyo have rotated and thus the centre puyo is not in the target column. The latter is a minor quirk I can probably ignore. The former will probably require me to revise the code a little when it starts to get on my nerves.

Anyway, as a demonstration of the AI, in addition to the video above, I left the AI playing parallel games for about two hours, and took this screenshot moments before player two died thanks to the aforementioned death stunt.

In the case of Puyo, 500000 is an astronomical score you can look forward to never reaching. Ever. And thus proves I can get on with other stuff now.

Enjoy.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2008 20:11 Edited at: 1st Mar 2008 20:12
Ok, half-assed update: Menu mockups that look awful, but the product they depict has buckets of potential. Big and bold, simple to understand and navigate, and a subtle, ambient background.

OMG KOMCEPT ARTS.
These images don't have any real bearing on the final layout or what-have-you, they're just for demonstration and such.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2008 18:51 Edited at: 5th Mar 2008 19:29
Menu Video 1 - 02/02/08
Menu Video 2 - 05/02/08

...So yes, working on menus. These are pretty dull.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 01:42
The background on the menu looks very cool and professional.
How is that effect accomplished?

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 21:46
It's a set of about 20 "blinds" that run across the screen. Each blind has a random starting position, width, and speed (-ve or +ve), and is returned to either side of the screen (depending on it's direction) when it reaches the other. Each blind shares a single sprite (well, it does here, anyway), which has a low alpha, and a red diffuse, and is stretched vertically to cover the screen's height, before being pasted at the appropriate position.
The colour pulse between yellow and red is done by cls-ing with an rgb that takes cosine values based on the time.

If the program runs slow, you might want to decrease the number of blinds and up the width and alpha of each.

Hope that helps.

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2008 22:54 Edited at: 6th Mar 2008 22:54
I had no idea it was such a simple effect--thanks for the explanation.

Quote: "Hope that helps."
Yes, it did. Infact, here's how mine turned out:

Do you plan on releasing a demo of Mean Bean Machine?

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 01:07 Edited at: 7th Mar 2008 01:07
No problem.
I'll likely release a demo when enough of the freeplay menu is done, and I have then copied and merged the two projects (menu and game) into a new singular one.

Menu Video 3 - 07/03/08

Basics of the menu system worked on a little. Video features early version of the Player Setup menu (which is roughly depicted at col 1, row 2 on the image further up, in case you're interested).

Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2008 01:18 Edited at: 7th Mar 2008 01:19
Very nice. May I ask what is happening in the top-left corner?

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2008 19:48 Edited at: 8th Mar 2008 19:55
Well, the button that spawns those 3 extra buttons doesn't check to see if they already exist. Thus, 3 additional buttons are made, but since ones of the same names already exist, the existing ones are reassigned to the large image while the new ones are cast off into disuse. That's sorted now, plus more:

Menu Video 4 - 08/03/08

Changed the layout a few times to this- the old one was a bit cramped and just didn't work right for me. All the buttons perform changes now, and the green button moves onto the next menu (currently it moves to the same menu). The section at the end of the video shows off menu changing properly. Also reduced the number of blinds in the background, because the program seemed to stutter every second or two because of it.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2008 08:27
Menu's don't interest me, little pieces of art like these do.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 00:29 Edited at: 14th Mar 2008 00:29
Thanks!
And now... more menus.

Menu Video 5 - 13/03/08

Presenting a fair few new menus, new art, etc. The large play button should take you to the game, but since this program has only the menus, it instead takes you back to the player setup menu.

Lazlazlaz 1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2008 01:09
That is the best thought out and most fun looking menu of any game I have seen, both indie and professional. Nice one.

As with most people I jump around which projects I work on and which I drop for a while.
Currently I'm back working on Sioux, a Hollywood Western RTS.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 10:33
Got me humming the Gadget theme.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 01:41 Edited at: 19th Mar 2008 01:48
Power-thanks to you both.

Menu Video 6 - 18/03/08

More-or-less finished all the freeplay menus now. Only features missing are those that save and load game/color scheme settings. But they'll only become necessary nearer the final.

Resume enjoyment.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Mar 2008 02:07 Edited at: 20th Mar 2008 02:11
Alpha 1 Video 1 - 20/03/08

Beginning of Alpha 1, combining both game and menu into what will eventually form the first demo.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 23:32
Update: Expect a demo and a long video as soon as I figure out how Mnemonic's Gamecrypt works. So an hour or two.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2008 23:33 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2008 18:15

Alpha 1 Release!
Demo, Manual, Video, Screenshots

Well, after a little adjusting to Gamecrypt, I got things working nicely, so thanks to Mnemonix.
The Demo, a 7.8mb Zip containing the release and manual, so something like WinRAR'll open it. Hope you enjoy.

Here's a run-down of what's in this initial release:

Features
Menu and Game now integrated together as one program, best
demonstrated by way of the menu background and button in the game.

With the exception of game speed, saving, loading, and refugee
strength settings, all settings work and affect gameplay correctly.

Updated in-game refugee images with those from menu. Puyo have
yet to be updated, as they comprise a fair few more images.

Basically, all the features I've posted up till now.

Youtube Video
Alpha 1 Video

Screens/Flow Map

(Larger version of above image)

Play, critique, point and laugh.
Cheers y'all.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 17:39 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2008 18:15
edit: Since I uploaded the zip elsewhere, this post is hereby declared wasted

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 18:15 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2008 18:16
MonoCoder : yes, I am always redirected from speedyshare to funny games strange

PS: Real programmers aren't afraid of math!.
MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 18:16
Something up with the link?

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 18:18
MonoCoder : no

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 18:19
Ah...
Sorry, I'm not a regular user of Speedyshare by any means; I thought you were getting redirected to something depraved and spamful.

It could happen.

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 18:22
MonoCoder: I am redirected here http://www.funny-games.biz/main.html Try attach file to this forum.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 18:25 Edited at: 22nd Mar 2008 18:35
That's... odd. That doesn't happen to me. Try copying the link location. Anyone else having such problems?

I tried attaching it here, but it seems to think 7.8mb is bigger than 50mb. Not using the applet, I get some CGI error.

Edit: This is a screen of where you should end up

wh1sp3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2008 19:04
NO http://www.funny-games.biz/main.html here, dont know, why

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the demo!

I got to 12000 before getting bored(I played for a long time), but my opponent at some point reset his score to 0, odd.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:57:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:57:51