Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Music & Sound FX / Advice on sound software

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've reached a stage now on my Space sim game when I need to give serious thought to sound & voice. TGC sell the SFX engine and having played around with it, it looks ok. Just wondering what other people think of it and if there is a better sound software program out there. Essentially what I need is:

1. Easy interface
2. Easily createable sound types like lasers, beeps, sirens etc. Ideally if the program came with a number of generic sound types that could be easily modified that would be ideal as I wouldnt have to invent a laser sound say from scratch.
3. Voices (not essential but handy if included). E.g. "warning, hull critical". Software like "Talking notepad" does this but it sounds very artificial.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide on this.
Panabolic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2008 04:19
Hate to see your post going unanswered, but that's a loaded question around here. I haven't played with the TGC one, but you should be able to find an abundance of cheap or free sound effects for you bleeps sweeps a creeps.

As for voice, you could look at differnt text-to-speech programs (Speakonia) and voices and then use something like Audacity with free plug-ins to "tweak" the voice. I can't remember the name of the site but there are some voice actor websites you might be able to get some help from too.

Since there are some FLStudio users here, you might ask them if they could use the text-to-speech engine and grind out some lines for you. I used it for the attached file. Not perfect, but it will do.

If you are still stuck, I might be able to get a volunteer or two for you from the Audio Drama group I help out from time to time. If you want me to approach the group on your behalf, drop me an email with specifics.

-=Panabolic

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Panabolic. I will check out Speakonia and your download. THanks for the offer too via the AUdio drama group but I really dont want to waste anyone's time. I'm learning and changing my mind so frequently on various things that I dont think it would be fair.
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2008 20:09 Edited at: 20th Feb 2008 17:41
a good mic and compressor are great for doing voices , then tweak them in soundforge or such like , sounds more realistic a lot better than them artificial text to speech progs. I bet you could even record your own with one of them skype headsets and a good vst plugin.

[EDIT]

If you tell us what you want saying and describe how you want it i will record you some lines got some cool recording gear
Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the offer chunks chunks! I'm after a soft female (perferably - male is ok too) sounding space computer "type" voice saying the following lines:

1. Warning: missile launch detected
2. Hyperdrive initiated
3. Hyperdrive failure
4. Shielding critical
5. Hull critical
6. Internal damage sustained
7. Congratulations commander

If you think of the typical computer voices in sci-fi space films then you'll probably get what I'm after.

Thanks again for your kind offer to help
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 22:57
somthing like this ,the effects are probably rubbish but i can give you the plain voices to do what you want with.

just need to pick out the best

Attachments

Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for this! What I think I need to do is invest a bit of time experimenting.
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2008 16:36
heres the whole thing to cut up and do what you like with , the first section theres some background noise kids were playin up somthing about dvds,lol , second sections clean though ..

chunks

Attachments

Hangar18
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for this Chunks chunks, will check it out at home tonight. Really appreciate your time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:18:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:18:05