Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Meters ang Gauges

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i was wondering how i could put up a gauge/meter in my camera. ive been working on a 3D environment btw. are there any tutorials present?
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 18:03
Scope out Lock Object to Screen - Scope out Sprites also.

Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
my files are in .png format by the way
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2008 17:50
Well - when you read about Sprites, Object Plains, loading images, then we can help you easier because you'll know what we are talking about when you're ready to learn how YOU can get this working.

Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
ive read about the images, some basic 3D, sprites and bitmaps in the documentation. ive tried a few attempts to load just a single picture to my screen but to no avail. well, at least i could have an idea of what you're about to tell me
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 15:35
Ok - Good. First - I don't know how you want your gauges to look but there are a few ways you can go about it.

One example I saw a person made two sprites - the Gaugue numbers in a circle, and a Needle Sprite. He used the rotate sprite commands, and set the sprite center (So it wouldn't rotate the needle around the top left corner of the sprite) and he experimented until he got it to look right and until he found how much to spin the needle so it coresponded with his game speeds.

Meter Gauges? I Saw a AWESOME way to do this in another engine - where you make a long rectangle sprite with a color gradient image - and placed it under a "meter gauge" with a small rectangle "Window" and you would slide the long rectange "left and right" and you could only see it through the hole you made - but that won't here - but the technique may spark an idea for you.

Altitude gauges like in a flight sim's HUD (Heads up display) can also be done via sprite - or 3d Plains for that matter... 1 with all the "gauges" on it and the others to be the little needles that slide around.

Note for 3d Plains - you will likely want to Lock Object to Screen. This makes those 3d images stay with the camera - but you will need to play with positioning the objects in a good spot before locking them to camera - because I thnk moving them around afterwards MIGHT have issues - maybe not - haven't done it - but I'm aware of the technique.

Start with a test program - pre make two images - a gauge and a needle - load em and make them into sprites - and spend a few hours trying to put them together and see if you can't make the needle rotate.

Kira
Years of Service
User Offline
haha! it worked! the first example is the one that im looking for! thanks man! now, to put the needle sprite exactly at the middle...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-29 13:28:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-29 13:28:49