Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Square Sorter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 01:58 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2008 03:37
I made this a while back and thought I'd share it.

Objective:
Sort lines of colored squares into groups of 3 or more before they reach the bottom of the screen.
Achieve a score of 5000 as fast as possible.

Procedure:
Click on a square and drag horizontally to desired location. The square occupying that location will switch places with the one being dragged.

Controls:
Mouse - navigate menu, drag squares
P - pause

Notes:
The short little song you will hear once in a while is letting you know you got 3 or more squares lined up. It will occur a little while after the line goes off the screen.
Once the line of squares reaches the bottom of the screen, it locks.
Highscores don't work.

Screens:
Menu

Game

Download:
Square Sorter - Includes source, media, and executable

Enjoy.

Kikkoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 09:49
I like it! It's really good fun!

2D and 3D game programmer! ^__^
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 17:33
Thanks for giving it a try. I'm glad to hear you liked it.

Super Nova
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2008 19:11
Really cool game, the layout of everything was perfect. My first try I got 279 seconds... not very good I assume.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 06:02
Actually, that's what I usually get.
Thank you for playing.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 07:44 Edited at: 24th Feb 2008 08:01
not bad, profit. i do have to say that i don't see much replay-ability in it's current form. if you were to make couple/few additions, i can see playing it again, though. some constructive criticism:

one thing that bugs me about some games is when the controls become the primary "challenge" vs the actual puzzle or play of the game. i'm experiencing this with Square Sorter primarily due to the precision required to remain on the same row as the block selected. if there was some (more) forgiveness there, it wouldn't be as frustrating. also, while allowing the lines (from-to position indicator) to track on the row above or below (was swapping with different rows a feature at some point?) is a nifty "trick", it's lending to the frustration for me. now, if the line were to turn RED when i was on the wrong row, then i would very much aprreciate it. otherwise, it's a negative in my book.

and, if you were to add 1 or 2 alternate "short little song" options (played randomly when scoring is counted), it would help with the game's repetative nature. bottom line advice here is that a little variety could go a long way, however you might choose to incorporate it. oh, i'll add that a "pause" feature is always a nice addition to just about any game, too. and while i'm at it, what about an option to change difficulty levels? ie, Rookie = 2,500 points, Pro = 5,000, Master = 10,000? i would definitely re-play if i didn't have to go to 5,000 every time. 5 minutes of hard focussing is just too much for my already over-worked eyes.

thanks for sharing

edit! ACK! it already has PAUSE (yeah, yeah.. i guess i missed it the first four times i read the initial posting). hehe. well, now. i'll have to give it another go...

edit2: what are the flp files? don't tell me you're parsing flash in here somewhere(!?) heh. i own flash 8 but haven't looked at it since i installed. they don't appear to be valid flash projects, tho... <shrugs>

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2008 20:11 Edited at: 24th Feb 2008 20:13
Quote: "i'm experiencing this with Square Sorter primarily due to the precision required to remain on the same row as the block selected. if there was some (more) forgiveness there, it wouldn't be as frustrating."
I guess after playing it so long while testing it, I got better at it. That being said, this game was finished months ago, and taking into account that the actual gameplay isn't very fun, I don't think it's worth going back to make any more tweaks. Although I think part of this game is being good at the controls. After all, it is a race against the clock, and if I were to make the boxes stationary, it would be your standard match-3 game (although that'd most likely be more enjoyable).

Quote: "now, if the line were to turn RED when i was on the wrong row, then i would very much aprreciate it. otherwise, it's a negative in my book."
I just checked, and it does turn red, or am I misunderstanding you?

Quote: "if you were to add 1 or 2 alternate "short little song" options (played randomly when scoring is counted), it would help with the game's repetative nature."
I agree with you. When I played, I usually had my speakers off.

Quote: "what about an option to change difficulty levels? ie, Rookie = 2,500 points, Pro = 5,000, Master = 10,000?"
That's a very good idea. If I was still working on this, I would definitely add it. I will keep this idea in mind for future projects.

Quote: "thanks for sharing"
Thank you for reviewing.

Quote: "what are the flp files? don't tell me you're parsing flash in here somewhere(!?) heh. i own flash 8 but haven't looked at it since i installed. they don't appear to be valid flash projects, tho... <shrugs>"
That's an FL Studio file, the program I used to make the sounds.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 01:10
Quote: "it does turn red"

...told you my eyes are over-worked! heheh. sorry about that.

i understand that it's not a project you will continue working on; perhaps i'll dig into the source, which is much appreciated, btw (i like to see how the real coders do it). thanks again.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2008 02:24
I seem to remember the code getting somewhat sloppy/confusing towards the end of the project as a result of poor planning, but I hope you're able to get some use out of it anyway.

I'm a real coder? Sweet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:08:35
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:08:35